Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That_One_Llama88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Hey guys! I’m new here so, sorry for having to answer my newb questions.
Glad to be apart of the forum. Anyway, onto the question!
Is it possible to convert the base 6 to 3D Touch by swapping displays? Probably wouldn’t work. But I base this idea on the fact that the 3D Touch technology is in the display itself.
Thanks people of Mac! Post your 6/6s if you want

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Wait, what do you mean it's on the display itself? A family member replaced a 6s screen with a third party and 3D Touch still works.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is it possible to convert the base 6 to 3D Touch by swapping displays? Probably wouldn’t work. But I base this idea on the fact that the 3D Touch technology is in the display itself.
Wait, what do you mean it's on the display itself? A family member replaced a 6s screen with a third party and 3D Touch still works.
The iPhone 6s/6s+ is slightly thicker and heavier with a reduced capacity battery as compared to the iPhone 6/6+.

The reason is that the 3D Touch feature is embedded into the display.

So, no OP, replacing the 6 screen with a 6s screen won't work, least of all because of the dimensions. You wouldn't be able to get the 6s screen to fully seat with the casing of the 6.

@FeliApple 3D Touch in your case still works because the phone you speak of is a 6s, not a 6. 3D Touch was never available to the 6/6+, which is what the OP has.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Hey guys! I’m new here so, sorry for having to answer my newb questions.
Glad to be apart of the forum. Anyway, onto the question!
Thanks people of Mac! Post your 6/6s if you want

The first problem would be:

- iPhone 6 logic board has 4 display connectors
- iPhone 6s logic board has 3 display connectors

Reactions: eyoungren

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The iPhone 6s/6s+ is slightly thicker and heavier with a reduced capacity battery as compared to the iPhone 6/6+.

The reason is that the 3D Touch feature is embedded into the display.

So, no OP, replacing the 6 screen with a 6s screen won't work, least of all because of the dimensions. You wouldn't be able to get the 6s screen to fully seat with the casing of the 6.

@FeliApple 3D Touch in your case still works because the phone you speak of is a 6s, not a 6. 3D Touch was never available to the 6/6+, which is what the OP has.
I know, but if 3D Touch is in the display, then putting a - probably low-quality - third party display would prevent 3D Touch from working. After a replacement, 3D Touch works. Why does it work?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I know, but if 3D Touch is in the display, then putting a - probably low-quality - third party display would prevent 3D Touch from working. After a replacement, 3D Touch works. Why does it work?

Aftermarket iPhone 6s displays with 3D Touch were available 6 months after launch. Why would low-quality aftermarket displays prevent 3D Touch from working?

Reactions: eyoungren

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Aftermarket iPhone 6s displays with 3D Touch were available 6 months after launch. Why would low-quality aftermarket displays prevent 3D Touch from working?
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.