iPhone 6 8.1.2 drains only on wifi

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by scoop2mylue, Jan 16, 2015.

1. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

so this has been a 1 month long issue with my iPhone only draining when connected to wifi..had my 6 a month after launch with no issues..I charge my battery and 100% before I go to bed and when I wake up its drained over 50% I just recently had a new one sent to me and exact same problem right out the box NO apps downloaded or NO iCould backup and now my old 6 doesn't drain while on wifi with NO SIM card in it...already went to AT&T to get a new SIM card thinking that was the issue...any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. Blarneystone macrumors member

Try going to settings>general>usage and seeing what apps are using the most battery. It may be you're setting your phone slightly out of cell range and it is looking for a cell signal. That eats battery very quickly.

3. scoop2mylue thread starter macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

it does not drain while on LTE at all only on wifi apps on the phone are all stock never added any apps...wife has a 5s placed her phone right next to mine at night and no drainage on hers...Thanks to the input tho

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I noticed today that I get the same usage using 4G as I do using WiFi. Whilst my 6+ battery usage stats over cellular are perfectly acceptable, WiFi use should increase on those surely.

Whilst I don't have the OP's problem, it is still perhaps relevant?

5. Blarneystone macrumors member

Ok, if you still look at the usage, what apps are at the top of the list?

6. scoop2mylue thread starter macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

Safari and Phone safari cause I have no apps on the phone and phone cause I've been on the phone with apple and at&t a lot recently

----------

yea makes no sense how battery life would be better or equal on LTE/4G over wifi

7. sbailey4, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Nope. Apples spec for the 6+ is:
    "Internet use: Up to 12 hours on 3G, up to 12 hours on LTE, up to 12 hours on Wi‑Fi"

So you shouldn't get an increase on wifi technically.

The 6 is a little different:
    "Internet use: Up to 10 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 11 hours on Wi‑Fi"

OP you have something hung up (maybe email acct or iCloud backup) causing that drain. It should not drain 50% overnight just on standby. Something else is running causing that drain. You mentioned it doesn't drain on wifi when sim is not in the device. So apparently its not wifi causing it as the thread title suggests. I would reset network settings and see if it clears up. My guess is it will.