iPhone 6 a lot faster than 5s for tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MutantMike, Feb 4, 2015.

1. MutantMike macrumors newbie

Looking to finally get a 6 but I must be sure that the LTE and data DL will b better that the 5 or 5s

Our ONLY internet at home is via tethering with iPhones

Any experiences on this?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is going to vary greatly by carrier and location. Theoretically the 6 will be faster. In practice, not so much.

3. MutantMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx

Thought I read that the 6 was much better in this regards

I've used a 5 and 5s at home and they both seem really good but I'm just looking for an excuse to get a 6 ;)

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It is much better in that it has faster theoretical up and down speeds. The key word here is "theoretical". That is, when the best conditions are met, the 6 will outperform the 5S. There are many factors here, most of which are going to depend more on the cell tower and your surroundings than anything else.

For simplicity, let's just say 10mbps is 5S max and 20mbps is 6 max (these are made up numbers, by the way). If the cell tower is only able to accommodate 8mbps, the 6 won't see any gains over the 5S, despite it's superior hardware.

Obviously that is very simplified, and you can actually see differences despite a cell tower not performing past theoretical peaks of one hardware over another. I guess what I am trying to say is, we can;t really give a definite no or yes for your area. If you are buying from a major carrier on contract (or even Apple direct), your risks are pretty low; if you don't like the upgrade you can return it.

5. MutantMike thread starter macrumors newbie

I thx

I'm getting one anyway I think, don't see how it can be slower

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Is this something you want to do? Not having home internet means you will be missing out on great things such as smart thermostats, lights, doorknobs Etc.

...all the cool things you could do from an iPhone.

7. MutantMike thread starter macrumors newbie

No high speed so my phone is my hot spot

Had dial up through 2012!!!!

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I doubt most of the population cares for any of that. The general public has a hard enough time pairing their devices to the Bluetooth unit in their cars, let alone a 'smart' home. :rolleyes:

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

They only don't care because they don't know. I doubt most cared about the car either when it was invented because the horse and buggy was good enough.