iPhone 6 activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pivoh, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Pivoh macrumors member

I purchased an iPhone6 contract free via apple.com

I would like to set it up for a friend, who will be using it overseas on different networks mainly. Will it be an issue if I activate the phone with my tmobile sim card? Will it remain unlocked to other networks?

Or is there a way I dont have to activate it just yet and still be able to set it up?

2. myvoip07 macrumors member

You are ok activating it. It will be activated under your apple id. After you hand over to your friend he can use it. He then will have to starting using his apple id to download apps, login to Apple store using his apple id. It will be better for you that way. Since you paid full price and it is factory unlocked you should be fine. my iPhone 6 is also purchased from apple.com and paying full price and it is unlocked. I can use any GSM sim card on it, but i am not giving it or bought for a friend :)

3. Pivoh thread starter macrumors member

great! thanks for your detailed answer.

therefore activating it with any simcard will not lock it to that particular network correct?

4. trevgriff, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

trevgriff macrumors member

Not sure if this is similar to the above but maybe someone can help....

I have a iphone 6plus scheduled to arrive sometime before 10/17. The problem is my existing 4s only holds a charge for 2.5 hours and I have a 4 day conference coming up next week. Can I purchase a regular iPhone 6 at the Apple Store using another phone number where we have with an upgrade to an iPhone 5, but activate that phone to my number. Can I then move the sim from the 6 to the 6 plus, and put the sim from the 5 into the 6?

A Verizon store employee told me I could not do it, not sure why though.

5. ronm99 macrumors 6502

Sounds like it should work to me. Last year, my wife had an upgrade available, and I used the upgrade to buy a 5S. When we activated the phone, it deregistered her old SIM and registered the 5S as her new SIM. Once the phone was registered, we archived her old SIM, swapped SIM cards with my phone and her phone, and everything worked as expected.

6. trevgriff macrumors member

The only thing that worries me is that the sim in the pre-ordered 6+ is attached to my number and may not allow me to update. I guess the worst that can happen is that the 5 owner gets the 6 sooner by 2-3 weeks.