iPhone 6+ after 4 days, Impressions / thoughts / issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Allthings-I, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Allthings-I, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Allthings-I macrumors 6502

So I have been using my iPhone 6+ for 4 days now all out and here are some things I want to share as others have made comments about it:

1) Battery Life -- I am able to get Solid 12-14hours of use out of my iPhone 6+:
    - Brightness 40-45%
    - WiFi & Bluetooth: ON 100% of the time
    - Background App Refresh -- Manually selected to only allow some apps not all
    - Location Services -- Manually set to allow some apps not all
    - have 6 email accounts, are are PUSH
    - I use my phone for emails, texts, and web browsing
    - I consider my self a heavy user.

This reason alone was the biggest factor for my upgrade and this is why 6 wasn't going to cut it for me as the battery life improve in the 6+ is much more if you modify some things.

2) WiFi Connection -- Many users have reported having issues with getting stable connections, I have had 0 problems. Only issue i experienced (bug in iOS8.0) is that one time my iPhone was not finding any WiFi networks despite "Searching" -- a simple restart fixed it.

3) Bluetooth Connection -- I read a lot about people complaining about having issues connecting via bluetooth in car and other things -- I have had on issues syncing with by Sony Deck in my car and Bluetooth keyboard at home (Apple Wireless Keyboard)

3) Getting hot -- Yes my iPhone was getting hot for the first day -- I suppose it was syncing with iCloud n all and besides getting warm, I have not experienced it getting hot since.

4) iOS 8 -- Yes there are bugs which include some of the "On" / "Off" buttons in settings giving delayed response, many apps still crashing, 3rd party keyboards bugging etc. I am sure once Apple gets to the bottom of these bugs, the iPhone 6+ battery life will be a lot better as well.

5) Thoughts about 5.5"? -- I couldn't be happier. I bought the 6 and 6+ both, at first I was leaning towards the 6 as it felt like a more comfortable size, but then I decided I would give the 5.5" a chance and can always fall back to the 6 if things didn't suit me well. After completely moving away from my 5S fully, I could not see the point in going with anything smaller as it has worked out well for me at the Gym, In the car and overall in the pocket, so far it has fit very well into my dress pants, shorts and track pant pockets.

6) Charging -- Yes it takes longer to charge the 6+, if you charge with your iPad charger, it does charge faster.

7) Ratability? -- I have not used the feature at all, I just end up shifting the phone around in my palm as I find that more convenient (dunno why but i Just do)

8) Camera -- Defininately one of the most amazing cameras I have used on a iPhone, I compared between the 6 and 6+ and the 6+'s ability to focus so fast is just amazing.

9) Case -- I am using the Incipio DualPro Case ($25 @ Walmart), I love the feel of it, I did try the Apple leather case, however didn't like the feel for some reason. Another case I am waiting to arrive is the RingKe Fusion from Amazing ($8.99)

10) iPhone Unlock: the two units we have = iPhone 6+ from Verizon paid in Full and iPhone 6 = Contract Free T-Mobile Paid in Full from Apple Store both are Factory Unlocked and identical in functionality -- you can put any AT&T/ T-Mobile sim in both units and have the same experience as they support the networks out of the box 100%.

11) Bend gate -- i think this is just blown out of proportion and Apple being at the top, its typical of people to point fingers for any and all reasons. The iPhone 6 is a beautiful device and as long as you take care of it you will be fine.

I will add more to the list as I come across it but these are the few things I felt like I wanted to share my experience about.

2. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Thanks for your thoughts. Eagerly awaiting mine after playing with a friend's 6+ for an extended period.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

1. Battery life is really good.
    2. Takes forever to charge.
    3. Camera is freaking awesome.
    4. Can't use it one handed.
    5. Some Apps need to be optimized they look like crap!

4. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Im very happy with my plus also.
    Had problem with the bluetooth connect on my hyundai genesis. But after resetting all settings on the phone, it paired with the car smoothly.

5. AmyK macrumors member

The battery life is AWESOME!! I'm always on my phone... And it is such a big improvement over the 5S...

6. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

7. jlynchtx macrumors newbie

Did you buy the Incipio DualPro Case at your local Walmart or order it? I'm going to have to go see if my walmart has that case. It looks nice. How does the thickness compare to the Apple leather case?

8. Koobs macrumors regular

Koobs

I love my 6+ It's the perfect size for me. The only issue is I had is a dead pixel. I called Apple and they shipped me out a new phone in two days.

9. studmule macrumors regular

My only complaint is that the earpiece volume when I make phone calls is not as loud as my 5s was. even when turned up all the way I can't hear the other person as well. It's not a deal breaker by any means though.

10. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I noticed this as well, but to me it's not that it's quieter, it's just more full sounding, with more mid and low range tones. My 5 may have seemed louder but I really think it's just because it was so much more tinny or high-pitched. Same goes for the speakerphone, but it's tremendously louder and more full sounding.

11. Allthings-I thread starter macrumors 6502

got it locally as it was the only one available. it feels just perfect, ill post pics later.

12. chrise2 macrumors 6502

- Battery life is sweet. Though I know with the regular 6 are also saying battery life is very good.
    - I love love love the screen
    - It fits in most of my pants fine. Jeans are a little tight. I think it will be better with a less grippy and slimmer case.

13. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Only issues I've had so far
    1. Learning how to use a bigger phone ... routine wise
    2. Apps that aren't optimized for the screen need to be ASAP

14. Kceb83 macrumors member

Amen to all of these though I am able to use it one handed depending on the app. But man the app scaling is terrrrrible. I am really surprised a lot of them have not been updated yet. Battery life is amazing. Camera rocks. Overall I m very happy. I was thinking of swapping over to the new moto x but decided to stick with the 6plus because it has been so nice so far.

----------

Oh forgot to mention. Having wifi connectivity issues and Bluetooth problem in my car as well.

15. strausd macrumors 68030

1. Battery life is pretty good
    2. Sceen for optimized apps is fantastic
    3. Screen for all other apps not so fantastic
    4. Camera is impressive
    5. Reachability is nice, but I don't need to use it often
    6. Very fast and fluid throughout the system
    7. Fits in all my pockets just fine, no sign of bending

16. TomH TX macrumors regular

I agree with all of the above. I have noticed the volume issue when on the phone, and agree that some apps need to be optimized. However, other than that, I am very pleased. BTW, for a case I went with the Pelican Voyager from ATT. It is "ok". I am waiting for the otter box, life proof, and griffin cases to compare.

17. calcava89 macrumors newbie

Too many typos= annoying

18. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

I'm really surprised by the lack of app updates. None of the apps I use have been updated for the 6+ and the scaling is annoying. I don't use Evernote but I downloaded just to see how it looked since it is optimized for the screen. It looks amazing! Developers need to get on it (I'm looking at you Facebook with your POS underdeveloped app) and Apple needs to get on it with the review process.

19. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

How do you hold it up your ear? I noticed I held it like my 5s like the left image but the speaker was below my ear actually... Well I drew it maybe you get the idea...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqilypcanyjy52n/Foto 26.09.14 07 24 35.jpg?dl=0