iPhone 6+ allegedly lag problems (expert opinions please)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deviant, Oct 3, 2014.

1. deviant, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

deviant macrumors 65816

Too many thread that lead to nothing. I want a professional opinion based on this info:
    iPad air has a7 and a higher resolution, yet everything seems flawless.
    iPhone 6 plus has smaller resolution AND a8 yet people continue saying it lags (whether it's true or not i don't really know, mine arrives Wednesday and I still haven't decided if i want it or i want the 6)
    What i want to know
    1)Could it be software? Or is it the scaler to blame?
    2)Can it improve? Or the scaler is eating all the power?

I don't care about games (or care but very little), i care about iOS 9 and iOS 10. Will this be a problem?

Please, reply ONLY if you really know what are you talking about. Specifically.. How the scaler works and if it is indeed eating all the resources.
    I just can't find a plausible explanation.. why iPad air with a7 and higher resolution would work better than a8 and a smaller resolution.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Lol you're not gonna get much help telling people they're only allowed to reply if they're experts.

FWIW, it's the scaler. Logic tells you that there is extra computation required in scaling something. You can turn the scaler off if it bothers you (zoomed mode).

3. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I'm not an expert... But I'm educated enough. I am betting software update will fix it.

4. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

I don't get this LAG issue. Used both 6 and 6+. No lag what so ever. Though every new iPhone I get I set up as new.

5. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

6. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Anecdotally

Anecdotally someone posted in this forum that they believed the lag was caused by initial spotlight indexing of the contents of the phone and the more contents you saved (such as on a 128 gig phone) the longer the indexing took.

In my own experience I've not had any lags at all that I can perceive. If they are there, I am unable to perceive them.

It would be helpful if the OP could post some way to get it to occur predictably then I might have an idea as to what we're seeing here.

7. msae macrumors member

My 6 plus will stutter a little when scrolling through the wallpaper thumbnails. I'm really guessing it's a software issue. I'd like to see a video of this carried out on an iPhone 6 to compare. Honestly, that's the only stutter I've noticed. I may reset, and set up as a new iPhone today.

8. tekkt0r macrumors member

i have to agree based on my own experience (128GB iPhone 6+). the first day it was very laggy and stuttery, but it cleared up and I haven't had an issue since.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

There is just a slight bit of lag on the 6 plus. I don't have the 6 so can't say if it's software or not.

But this is the first "flagship" iphone I have gotten that's had "lag" out of the box. Every iphone I have gotten on day 1 (I've owned all of them) have zero lag.

I don't know if this bodes well for the iPhone 6 plus longesvity? Will the 6 plus be the "ipad 3" version of it's time? We all know the iPad 3 was barely good enough when it launch because of it's retina screen.

Since the 6 plus has 1080p screen vs the 750p screen of the regular 6. Will this become an issue over time?

Who knows?

10. deviant thread starter macrumors 65816

People say it's the most evident on Zen Garden and sometimes in games it would stutter for a sec once in a while.
    Lags in Zen Garden are kinda lame since they made a big deal out of it, Metal etc.. Then they ship a top high end phone that stutters? I mean, doesn't make any sense.

11. MiRod407 macrumors member

I'm on 8.1b1 and I did notice the lag before, but not anymore.

12. deviant thread starter macrumors 65816

That is very nice to hear. I hear a lot about 8.1 and how it is a lot better compared to 8.02.
    Could you possibly test Zen Garden? Just for the sake of science!

13. hofnar macrumors regular

hofnar

I see some lag on my 6+ even after I set it up as new.

- imessage when sending a message sometimes the animation of the chat bubble moving gets wonky.

- When waking the screen the zoom movement of the wallpaper is not as smooth.

Again it's not always.

14. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

When I first got my iPhone 5s I was experiencing lag for days. I was going to return it, but before I made it back to the store, it cleared up.

I agree the phone is doing a lot of background work when you first get (like indexing), and that can vary by how much "stuff" you have on there.

15. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

The 6 does the same thing.

16. msae macrumors member

I figured as much, but honestly, thank you for saying something. That's the extent of the "lag" I've noticed, and it shows up in some other apps, but not all (IMDb has a little stutter when scrolling). At this point, I'm really betting its iOS 8.

17. RAWandVITAL macrumors member

I notice absolutely zero lag on my new iphone 6 plus. I have a verizon 128gb white/silver model and everything is smooth as butter as expected from apple.

However, after reading someone's reply in this thread about them noticing lag when scrolling through the wallpaper thumbnails. I'm also experiencing this too. I think it's 100% normal though. I also tested it on my old iPhone 5 and I'm experiencing the same exact thing. So I don't think/feel that this is specific to the iPhone 6 plus only. I think the wallpaper art is such a high resolution that it stutters when scrolling. Not really worried about it since I was able to replicate it on another device.

Facebook, web pages in safari, etc have zero lag for me on my plus so yeah. Happy customer.... Although, I did notice my iPhone 6 plus have a bend in it. :p

Enjoy the phone guys!

18. utahman130, Oct 3, 2014

utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Mine jerks so much when I scroll through Twitter and the charts in the App Store

19. zoonyx, Oct 3, 2014

zoonyx macrumors 6502

Not notice anything, but there was a reg article (i know, i know) saying something about the scaler doing stupid things...

"Eyebrow-raisingly, therefore, the iPhone 6 Plus renders a 2208x1242 display downscaled to 1920x1080. It’s much like viewing a multi-megapixel image in Photoshop at less than 100 per cent to fit it on your screen. As in Photoshop, a smooth resampling algorithm is used so that nothing looks jaggy. But there’s no integer ratio between a pixel designed by the software developer and a pixel on your iPhone 6 Plus screen. That’s something the fragmented Android world has long tolerated, but it’s new to perfectionist Apple."

"It has to be said that, at 401ppi, the scaling really isn’t noticeable; iOS 8 and its default apps look lovely on the Plus. Other apps that haven’t been optimised with 3x assets, however, are upsampled considerably before being downsampled again, and the result is visibly soft rendering. Even live text isn’t so hot in legacy apps, which for the moment means almost all of them."

Of course, 1920x1080 happens to be the exact resolution of a Full HD movie such as those you might rent or buy from Apple’s built-in iTunes Store. Hurrah! But wait. Screen-grabbing playback in the Videos app shows that the display is still being rendered at 2208x1242. Yes, the software is actually scaling up your 1080p video (reducing its quality) so that the hardware can scale it back down (reducing its quality) to display it at 1080p. Madness.

So if it really is that silly (and I don't know if its true or not), it could be the entire scaler isn't quite as hot as it should be yet?

Link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/23/apple_iphone_6_plus_review/?page=2

20. deviant thread starter macrumors 65816

If that's true it would laughable that they called it "desktop class scaler". i don't like the whole scaler thing. seems like a compromise, but who am I to tell.

21. deviant thread starter macrumors 65816

Mine too. Twitter is poorly done and app store lags because when you scroll it loads apps (like you see1-10 , scroll and it immediately loads 10-20 and so on). It's not an iPhone 6 plus problem

22. MasterTick macrumors 6502

Mine only stutters when pulling up mission control after not using it for a while.