iPhone 6 an iCloud syorage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ColG, Jun 22, 2015.

1. ColG macrumors newbie

Quick question. Have an iPhone 6 16gig and want to use the onboard storage space sensibly. The ideal seems to be to store documents etc in the cloud (icloud) but from what I have read it seems that icloud is a syncing service and if I store say a 5kb Pages doc on icloud a copy will also be saved on the phone thus using 5kb of onboard phone storage space. Is this true or will the files only be saved on icloud with access via the likes of Pages?

Thanks

Colin

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is in fact true. iCloud storage, both the photos and documents, store in the cloud and push to all of your devices. There is no way to upload photos or documents to iCloud and then delete them from your phone to keep the storage on your phone. It is a lot different than the typical cloud storage people think of. For example, with Dropbox you upload the photo and then you can delete it from your devices but it stays on the cloud. With iCloud drive your iphone/ipad mirror iCloud and vice versa. The days of a 16gb iPhone are numbered. You really need at least 64gb since everything is pushed to your phone.

The good news is the cloud storage is cheap. The bad news is you need to buy larger capacity phones than you did in the past if you plan on using apple services.

3. ColG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Seems a bit of a missed trick in not letting icloud act as plain storage should one wish. It is not a huge problem as I will just back my photos up to Flickr for free and possibly dump icloud in favour of Dropbox or maybe a better option might be MS Cloud storage which allows sync as well as back-up I believe.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I hated it at first, but now I really like the fact my photos are stored on all of my devices..no 3rd party app to deal with. I have "optimize iPhone storage" turned on, which keeps a lower resolution photos stored on my phone to help with space.

5. ColG thread starter macrumors newbie

All true but I don't want my photos or documents stored on my phone. I just want to be able to access them via my phone when I want to. The fact that Apple does not give that option is a disappointment. Google and MS are better implementations and Flickr is great with its free 1TB of storage.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Amazon also provides free unlimited storage of photos.

7. ColG thread starter macrumors newbie

Last time I looked this (Amazon) was not available in the UK.

8. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

It is kind of in Apples interest that you fill up the storage on your phone because next you might spend more money one a phone with higher capacity.