iPhone 6 and 5, can you swap SIM cards and use both?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigdaddyjo, Sep 18, 2014.

1. bigdaddyjo macrumors member

Apologies if this topic has been covered, I wasn't able to find it.

I plan on keeping my iPhone 5 primarily as an MP3 player in my car, but also as a remote control around the house for my Chromecast, etc.

Anyone know if the SIM cards for AT&T are essentially hot swappable? Meaning if I have a day trip hiking or something and want to take my smaller beat up 5 instead of the 6 Plus, could I just pull the SIM from the 6 and use the 5 as my phone?

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Ya, you should be able to go back and forth no problem.

3. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I plan on this as well for jailbreak purposes

4. porkozone macrumors newbie

I asked a chat rep on the AT&T site, and they said doing this could cause the SIM card to be deactivated, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Has anyone actually put their iPhone 6 sim into their iPhone 5 successfully?

5. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Only concern is the number of insertations the pins on the sim slot can take. If you're talking about swapping once a month, yeah it would be fine. But if this becomes a weekly thing, the pins will gradually become loose or weak.

6. porkozone macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm only planning to do it once, really. We are going on vacation right after we are getting our iPhone 6's, and my wife would prefer to carry her old phone so she'll worry about it less. I just didn't want any chance of it messing up the activation and/or account.

7. Alan H macrumors newbie

Swapping SIM cards

I haven't tried this yet, but here's the info I got from a chat with AT&T support this evening. If you try this and it works, please post a reply.

ME: Can I swap the SIM card from my iPhone 6 plus into my AT&T 5s when I want to travel with a smaller device?

AT&T rep: Yes. That will be fine. I would try to do it now to make sure the service works for both phones.

ME: Thanks, I think I'll wait until I get closer to my departure date.

AT&T rep: They both use the same data feature and are similar so if the SIM fits between the phones you will be good to do that.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

You can even back up the iPhone 6, restore the iPhone 5 from that backup so your phone has the same exact configuration during the trip, then when you return, back up the iPhone 5 and restore the new backup to the 6.

It's like you never swapped phones! :)

----------

Just wanted to add, if you do this, don't leave it in the car when it's out in the sun. The heat will quickly ruin the battery.