Iphone 6 and a Mini retina?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raccoonboy, Dec 3, 2014.

1. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Would it be redundant?

I know that 7.9 is still significantly bigger than normal Ip 6 but i have doubt i might just ended up not using it as much.

I used Ipad 2 before and IOS8 totally destroy the web browsing exp of the device so i sold it. I think i would use my Ipad to browse web (1GB ram should be better). Read news, maybe watch some movies.

Should I? Or i be better off just be with my 6. Battery is improved but not as good as the 6+. I still charge it 1 and a half times a day though.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Maybe an iPad Air. I stopped using my iPad Mini since I got the 6, but, that's just me.

3. raccoonboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for not being clear. I would not prefer Ipad air or air 2 since its another 100/200 usd. Mini 2 is at a very reasonable price right now.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Everyone's use case for mobile devices is different. I have a 6 and an rMini. My usage of the iPad has not diminished at all; the 6/6+ are both still quite small compared to any iPad, even the Mini. If I'm doing any serious reading, I'll always pick the iPad. Same thing with video longer than a couple of minutes, and of course, I use the Mini for 90% or more of my writing.

Apple's return policy is fairly generous, especially during the holidays. Why not buy one & try it out to see if it will suit your needs?

5. raccoonboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I live in Thailand so no return policy, only 14 days claim policy.

Thank u for your insight.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is the exact set up I use. When I am at home, I always use the retina mini. With 8.1.1 I can take all text and phone calls on the mini, so the phone stays in a central location when I am at the house. 4.7" and 7.9" is a huge difference.

A retina mini at $299 is a great price. The mini 3 for $100 more just for Touch ID is not worth the upgrade.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I find myself not using my rMini all that much now that I have my IP6+. Perhaps you will, YMMV, but its so much easier to use my iPhone.

8. newellj macrumors 601

My daily carry is my two iPhones in my shirt pocket, a rMBP 13" and a rMini. I commute by train and use the rMini a lot while going back and forth to work. The full size iPad is just enough bigger that putting it in the piggyback pocket of my laptop case cramps my routine. The rMini has a cell radio, which the rMBP doesn't have, and is a whole lot less likely to get bumped by other passengers than the rMBP. The rMini screen is a lot bigger than the iPhone 6 screen, which makes a huge difference with a lot of things I do on the iPad. If i had the 6 Plus, I might not need the Mini, but I need my phones to fit into my shirt pocket, so the Plus is out...

It's all very personal, but yes, I find the combination very useful.

9. snowman1 macrumors regular

As others have said, I think it really depends on your personal usage. I have the rMini 2 + iPhone 6 and I still use my iPad a lot mainly because I use it to take hand-written notes at school. The iPhone is simply too small to take notes on. The bigger screen of the iPad also comes in handy for some other tasks (writing long text messages, Facetiming with family, surfing the web when I'm not in a rush, etc.) Once again, it all depends on what you would use the iPad for!

10. dyt1983, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

I have an iPhone 6 and had an iPad mini Retina before upgrading to the iPad Air 2. The only reason I went with the Air 2 is that I wanted an upgrade in the processor along with the Touch ID. Otherwise, the mini was still a noticeable step up in screen size and functionality from the iPhone 6. Had Apple put an A8X and 2GB RAM into the Mini 3, I'd have purchased the Mini 3.

12. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I carry both an IP6 and an RMini. I use my Iphone for phone calls, and the Mini for EVERYTHING else, including texting.

13. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

6+ and rMini user here

NO way I'd sell my rMini. it's not worth much anyways.

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I own both the 6 and rMini. Since I purchased the 6, I have noticed that I have been using it a lot more than my rMini. I'm sure it's because the "newness" hasn't worn off yet. I have considered selling my rMini, but I doubt I will since I still use it. I should also note that obviously my 6 comes with me everywhere. My rMini essentially just stays at home. Very rarely do I bring it with me, unless I'm traveling.

15. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

I have both the 6 and the rMini. I use the rMini a great deal at home. There's no comparison with the screen sizes. Both serve their purposes for me. When I recently had to take the train for work, the mini was great for watching movies on the ride. The mini is great for me. Can hold it in one hand, and it's light enough where you don't feel like you're holding it.

16. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

I'm about to find out, my Mini2 should be here any minute...
    ....gotta love Fed-Ex, when they get it right, anyway.

I hope to carry it with me everyday, which is something I was reluctant to do
    with my iPad Retina. iPhone 6 is great but these old eyes need a bigger screen
    at times for certain things.

17. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That's certainly doable with a purse, backpack, or cargo pants pockets. I've found the Mini to be a tad too big for the jackets I own (though I know others have said it works for them), and forget pockets in jeans...not a chance.

That said, for the ladies, it fits very remarkably well in a lot of small/medium purses. I don't carry mine daily, but I won't hesitate to do so if I'm going to be somewhere for more than a hour or so. I hardly notice the added weight in my bag. A friend routinely takes hers on her train commute for reading. It's way more portable than an Air or any of the older iPads, and I love mine.

18. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

I sold my rMini on eBay last week. I have the 6 and the screen sizes were a huge difference but I still found myself using my rMini less now that I have a larger screen on my phone. I also have more storage on my phone. I want an Air 2 actually. Maybe after the holidays.

19. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Just picked up an Air 2. And I really must say.. The screen real estate is definitely welcomed. I was thinking to myself a 6 Plus alone will serve me well. But I've come to the conclusion I was wrong.

Although the 6 Plus is awesome. Definitely enjoy video, browsing & reading on the iPad.

20. CapHill Bum macrumors newbie

Haha, same here. Ever since I got the iPhone 6 I've had a hard time putting it down. :D

But to the original point: I love Touch ID and am a little bummed when I pick up my rMini and it's not there, but, the mini is definitely my go-to when I'm doing anything for an extended period of time. The screen is perfect for books and I certainly appreciate the extra space when browsing the web.

I think you can get plenty of use out of both if that's what you're interested in. I get the concern when dealing with the 6+ and a mini but if you compare the 6 and the mini it really isn't that close for concern, IMO.

21. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Iphone 6 and a Mini retina?

That doesn't sound like a good reason to dismiss the Air to Air 2. Save up if you don't have the money now. Don't settle on something because of price. You'll regret sooner or later.

Unless you plan to take you iPad out of the house a lot, the full size iPad will serve you better in a long run.

22. meistervu macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone 6. I was in the Apple Store today for some accessories and while waiting I played with the iPad Mini and the 6+.

The Mini felt huge compared to the 6+. The difference is many time more drastic than the 6 and 6+. I would say there is no comparison borrowing the web between the Mini and the 6+

One thing I prefer about the 6+ is the rounded edges. The Mini and Air always feels too sharp for me. I put a cove on my Air for that reason. I think a Mini with at rounded edge like the 6 or 6+ would feel much nicer in hands.

I still prefer a 6 to a 6+ for a phone, but having play with a 6+ I can see how useful the extra screen can be, perhaps not enough to replace a Mini for me, which in turn is not enough to replace an Air for me.

It's great that we have choices.

23. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I really like the mini size better than the air, so I hope apple updates it once in a while. I have an rMini and a 6 plus. At home or on a plane I still fall back on the rMini, but the 6 Plus has replaced the rMini around town. I think the 6 would have done the same for me.

24. raccoonboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you for all great advises here.

I might eventually get the Rmini because i have a feeling it would be the next Ipad 2 which many people still have and use until now.

Just need to find the right time to get. Apple store SEA has this chinese ny discount so maybe i will get it then.

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

In my backpack I carry 15in rMBP, iPad Air, and LG G Pad. I also carry my new iPhone 6 Plus in my front pocket. iPhone for texting, check email, Facebook and tweets. iPad for play games during break time and on the train working on documents. rMBP for job search and resume to email. iPad can do that only if I don't bring my rMBP. :apple: