iPhone 6 and External Battery Case vs. iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

If the iPhone 6 battery isn't quite up to par, which, judging by the specs Apple released, it probably won't be, will any of you consider getting an external battery case? I have always been against these kinds of cases because they add noticeable weight and thickness to a product that Apple designs to be as thin and light as possible. However, after finally getting fed up of dealing with a battey life of 4 to maybe 5 hours on my 5s, I purchased a Mophie Juice Pack Air. Without this case, my phone feels tiny now.

If I purchase the iPhone 6, and end up getting an external battey case later, it may have made better sense all along to go for the iPhone 6 Plus. But the iPhone 6 Plus will still be the large device regardless.

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Your battery on the 5S only lasts 4-5 hours? Maybe the issue isn't the battery, but something you've got going on, because 4-5 hours isn't up to Apple's spec on the battery. My guess is something rogue going on behind the scenes.

3. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I've often thought this as well, but this is how it's always been on my iPhone 5s and iPhone 5. I've tried everything. Eventually I just got tired of dealing with poor battey life. Even with my external battery case I'm still only able to get 8 hours. I've often thought that maybe something is corrupt with my iCloud account, but I never restore from any iCloud backups so I don't know.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I don't know. That is very strange. The only thing that could cause that bad of battery life is if you're in an area with really bad coverage and it's doing a lot of searching\low-bar data... I've heard of people getting bad battery life, but not like that. Definitely not typical.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Instead of a battery case which makes your phone larger at all times, why not just carry a small external battery to charge your phone on those days you know you'll be away from a charger for extended periods? This is what I do so that I'm not always carrying a brick around.

----------

I had this issue when I worked in an office with horrendous data service.

6. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Yes, they make some really great external batteries these days. Check out Anker products. They are available on Amazon, and are good quality. I have a 6000mAh and a 12000 mAh. The 6000 is about the size of an iPhone 5 and will charge the phone from dead to 100 3 times...

7. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I am in an area with poor reception most of the week. Depending on which room I'm in, I may have one to two bars of LTE, two bars of 3G, or no reception altogether. When I'm back home on the weekends, I get between three and four bars of LTE. Still, my battey has been mostly lousy even then. At the very least, I am hoping that both iPhone 6 models have better reception.

----------

The only issue with that is what happens when I want to sit in bed and use my phone while it's charging? I would need to hold the phone and the external battey.

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

My external battery can rest on the bed. It has a long enough charging cable.

9. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Just remember that the 6+ specifications state that it has longer battery life than the 6 while the screen is off. Actual hands on usage interacting with the device will be very similar. It is while the phone is asleep that the 6+ outlasts the 6.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

In bed? If you're home, why didn't you just charge it before bed?

Get a cable long enough to just extend to the battery that's sitting on the bed or a nearby table.