iPhone 6 announcement at WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I hope they announce it. I need something to get me through to September.

2. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Personally I hope they mention something but there are a number of new products rumored such as the iWatch and new Apple TV so an iPhone may just be the standard September reveal

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Most likely the iPhone 6 will be announced in September but if it is a bigger display apple may want to announce it in June so that the developers can optimize their apps for the screen size. But even if they were to do this they may or may not release it until September. All we can do is wait and see.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

They will not announce something months ahead of availability, especially for an iPHone. WWDC will announce IOS 8 and perhaps something on the osx line.

Announcing an iPhone 3-4 months ahead of release would kill sales.

5. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

Not only would it kill sales but would also give competitors to come out with features earlier..It would be interesting to see how apple deals with the bigger screen issue..Perhaps they'll announce screen sizes at WWDC (without launching the phone)..

6. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

Nope, not going to happen. WWDC is purely for software nowadays: it is a developer conference after all,

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes but the developers are the ones who need to update their software for any new screen sizes.

8. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

And as happened previously, most find out when the public do...

9. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I hope the put the phone out in June like the old days. The can do the watch and iPad pro or some other form factors in September IMO

10. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I want to get one thing clear, APPLE IS NOT GOING TO LAUNCH AT WWDC!!!! They haven't done a June release in years, why would they go back now when the 5s is selling so well?

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How is it any different than 4 -> 4S? iOS 8 will be previewed at WWDC, but that it. Nothing hardware wise will be mentioned except what iOS 8 will run on.

12. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Originally iphones were released in june/july. Only in the past 3 releases have they been in September/October.

It could be that it gets announced in june and released in june/july. They've done it before. The fact it was released in September is unusual they have normally released it in June.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

I have the money saved up just waiting for the announcement. I hope it has a bigger screen but I doubt it.

----------

By years you mean 4 years right?

iPhone 4: June 24, 2010

Apple has no rhyme or reason when they release or announce their products. They release it when it's ready.

13. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yes, which means the last 3 iPhones (4s, 5, 5s) were announced in September/October. That also means that only 3 iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4) were announced in June/July, which means they release dates are neck and neck. Really, we could see anything this year. Hell, we might not even see a new iPhone this year. We could have to wait until early 2015 for a new iPhone.

Now before someone jumps on my back saying "What about the original iPhone?". The original iPhone was released in June 2007, but announced in Jan 2007.

Now yes, Apple has no release cycle set in stone, but you also have to take into account how many iPhones fans have been added in the last few years who are now used to the September/October release date. When the first four iPhones were announced, they were on one carrier from the get-go. Now, we have had 3 newer iPhones on most carriers in the US (all the major ones).

Main point? Apple would be dumb to release the iPhone 3 months before, or 3 months after the Sept/Oct release window. Why? Look at just some of the polls here on MacRumors. Most people who will be upgrading to the 6 will be former 5 owners who's contracts are up in Sept or later. Now, thats not to say the new iPhone won't be successful if they release it early or late, but it would probably be more successful if they release it at the same time they have in the last 3 years.

If they release the iPhone 6 in June, I will probably still upgrade. Its not worth it to me to wait 4 months until my contracts up to get the iPhone, nor to wait another year for the 6s. At that point, my ETF would be $110. Opening a new line of service with my GVoice port will get me a $100 bill credit (if they'll still be running that), so I'll only spend $10 to cancel my contract.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I wish, but Apple has no motivation to release or reveal the iPhone early.

September 9th reveal, and September 26th release.

15. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Sounds about right. :cool: I'll be waiting in line at Best Buy so I can get my $50 Gift Card.

16. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

Good luck at BB. There have been instances in the past where they just have a few or none in stock on opening day.

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah most likely

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

If that's the case, I'd much rather go to Apple then Best Buy. I'm not going to miss out on the iPhone 6 on launch day. Thats what happened with my iPhone 5. Waited until the contract was up (Oct 2012) and checked the online order data base everyday. When the iPhone I wanted finally came in locally, it had been a few days of checking and I still had to drive one hour out of my way to get the iPhone. That is not happening again. If its launching Sep 26th, I'm going to Verizon a week and a half before that and transfer my number from Google Voice (got a really good new number I like) so I can get it on launch day.

Or maybe I'll just mail order it. I don't know.

19. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I don't know that it would make business sense for Apple to release an entirely new iPhone a couple months early. As far as I can tell Apple is not so threatened that they need to alter their product cycle to fend off competitors.

Also, I'd rather Apple took its time to get everything right. Rushing isn't good. I think they rushed iOS 7, and the result has been unhappy iPad owners due to bugs.

20. radiologyman, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

radiologyman macrumors 6502

Apple can do more controlled leaks to selected media about 'bigger screen' if objective is to prevent fans from switching to competitors. While sales so good they will wait till September to release the update.

21. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Some people still fail to see that when new software is released it takes 3 months to release the phone after the software is more stable. Is beta ios8 out yet? No...so there won't be a phone in June.
    Now I can see they launching a new line like smart watch or new appletv. They never gave developers a heads up about the 4" screen of the ip5 so they won't give a heads up on a new screen size launch. September it will be...

22. jlabute macrumors regular

jlabute

buy from Apple

This way you get an unlocked phone at the same price. That's my plan... Buy a phone outright and get a voice/text plan. Don't need data. Without data in your plan you can save $1000 over a few years

23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yes, but I'm on Verizon. As long as the new iPhone has LTE, its factory unlocked even if bought on a contract. :cool:

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm able to upgrade whenever, so I'd like if Apple would release the next iPhone in June/July because it would mean I wouldn't have to wait as long. However I'm not holding my breath for that. It'll probably be a September release again.