Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhamp07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
My 6 seems to have lte more than my wife's 5s. Is the antenna more receptive or something?

nhamp07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Numerous times on our road trip today I had lte on my 6 when she had 4g. I also came into the lte areas much sooner than her.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I don't need my ATT microcell at my house anymore with 6+, my wife still needs it with her 5s

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I noticed this as well. I would hope that the antenna bands on the back of the phone improved it :)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I noticed this as well. I would hope that the antenna bands on the back of the phone improved it :)

Pieces of plastic improved the signal?
Regardless, the signal reception needed improving because the i5 and 5S were lousy on that front.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Regardless, the signal reception needed improving because the i5 and 5S were lousy on that front.

I thought they were there b.c the antenna cannot pass through the metal frame. In the past, they had the splits in the frame.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
my experience has been mixed coming over from an iPhone 5 up to an iPhone 6.

i think the 6 does hold LTE longer and operates better at slightly lower dbm levels; however, when LTE is non existent, the iPhone 5 seems to have a more sensitive antenna that can pull in 4G better. (compared against the iPhone 5 which my wife is now using) the 5 can show marginal service (can be unusable or usable, dependeing on the situation) while the 6 shows "no service."

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
my experience has been mixed coming over from an iPhone 5 up to an iPhone 6.

i think the 6 does hold LTE longer and operates better at slightly lower dbm levels; however, when LTE is non existent, the iPhone 5 seems to have a more sensitive antenna that can pull in 4G better. (compared against the iPhone 5 which my wife is now using) the 5 can show marginal service (can be unusable or usable, dependeing on the situation) while the 6 shows "no service."

Oh dear. The iPhone 5 has the worst reception of any phone I've ever owned.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Umm yeah...it is a improved design, their most advanced iPhone ever made so far, with the best possible antenna design that they could come up with at the time, I would expect it to have better service, going from 4/4S to 5 gave better signal and service, same thing with this, superior antenna design

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Umm yeah...it is a improved design, their most advanced iPhone ever made so far, with the best possible antenna design that they could come up with at the time, I would expect it to have better service, going from 4/4S to 5 gave better signal and service, same thing with this, superior antenna design

I disagree. My i4, despite 'Antennagate', had MUCH better reception than my i5.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The two white plastic strips on the back of the 6/6+ are more receptive.
I thought they were there b.c the antenna cannot pass through the metal frame. In the past, they had the splits in the frame.

I believe that the metal top and bottom case sections are the antennas. (Just as with the original HTC phone that used the same setup. Apple has a cross license with HTC.)

The plastic strips isolate the two antennas from the middle piece of the back.

According to the FCC SAR report, the bottom is the primary antenna, but either one can be used for any band.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
FYI I don't think doing a speed test of two phones directly next to each other is very scientific at all....theres a ton of reasons but one being that one device is always going to be blasting its signal back "louder" than the other device and even minor interference will cause dropped packets....I mean these phones can put out a max of what 1-1.6watts?! Plus to get the right comparisons you'd need to make sure they were both on the same serving cell....

----------

I believe that the metal top and bottom case sections are the antennas. (Just as with the original HTC phone that used the same setup. Apple has a cross license with HTC.)

The plastic strips isolate the two antennas from the middle piece of the back.

According to the FCC SAR report, the bottom is the primary antenna, but either one can be used for any band.

Makes sense....the bottom of the phone is a popular spot for antenna placement to meet the SAR requirements. I did not know Apple had a cross license with HTC...pretty interesting, I knew about the HTC Antenna design and figured Apple "got around" the patents somehow but I guess they didn't need to. I've heard the NFC antenna is just behind the Apple logo, not sure how accurate that is though.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've noticed my 6 keeps a signal much better than my 4S, especially when I'm in my schools underground building.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.