iphone 6 arrives soon. what to check?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sevier, Oct 15, 2014.

1. sevier macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

As the tittle says I will have my new iphone 6 in a week and I am wondering what and how should I check if my new device is flawless? eg. dead pixels, yellowing, gaps, camera issues and so on.

Thanks in advance!

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Check for bend-gate, hair-gate, wifi-gate, screen-gate, yellow tinge-gate, iOS app-gate & scratch/ding-gate to name a few. The best of luck! :p

3. GrumpyMom, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Basically just run it through all of its paces and use your eyes. If you like what you see, it's good. The worst thing you can do to yourself is over scrutinize the phone looking for flaws.

The whole yellow screen thing for example, drives people insane. Basically when you get your phone, as long as the screen doesn't look cat pee yellow to you, or have areas where the display (preferably set to full brightness for testing purposes) clearly and obviously varies in brightness or tint, grading from teal or pink to white for example, you've got a decent screen. Most people are sane in evaluating their screens but some go Batpoop crazy comparing their phones displays to different ones in the store and demanding returns if theirs isn't as pure white (to their eyes) as a display models. The reason that's a problem is that the screens all do normally vary in warmth. Some have cooler more blue toned screens, others have warmer more Amber toned screens. But they still fall within normal tolerances. You will know a bad, cat pee yellow or really dingy screen when you see it without having to compare.

Just some things to be aware of, some of us, probably all of us, really, sometimes observe in some of our photos a tendency of the iPhone 6 (and in my case the 5s) to apply overly aggressive noise reduction to some photos and this results in what some of us call the "Monet effect" because it makes the photo look like a watercolor photo. A quick forum search should reveal these threads where this issue is discussed. It's not a defect in your phone per se, it's thought to be a software issue. My husband and I both see it in our IPhone 6 Plus photos from time to time.

Dead pixels...you'll see them if you have them, simple as that. There's also some people who run their super slow motion 240 p video in the dark for some ungodly reason and will see persistent white spots. I don't think it's a problem myself because why in the heck would I want to take a slow motion video in the freaking dark? But to each their own.

Good luck and don't obsess.

p.s. All of the iPhone 6's look a little bent or off when you stare at them too long and too hard. It is a trick of the light on the curved surfaces. Truly bent phones have some buckling of the body especially around the volume rocker switches. And the phones do not spontaneously bend. Force has to be applied.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Pick up the phone, use it for an hour. Take a look around the outside of the phone.

Do you notice any issues? Are you happy? If so, continue on with life.

Do you notice a major issue that would take be a detriment to your user experience? If so, return the iPhone for a replacement device.

5. sevier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! :)

6. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Look out for specs of dust under the glass. Mine has it and its driving me crazy. Taking it back to the store this weekend.

7. mainomega macrumors 6502

Color-Gate. Like if you ordered a white one and got a black one. Once you go black you don't go back.... i hear.

8. sheldomacrumors macrumors member

Check the Antenna bands for gaps... They exists. Gapgate :apple: