iPhone 6 Arrives Tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alksion, Nov 13, 2014.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I know, I'm late to the game, however, I had to wait for my new business account to be provisioned.

As the title says, my iPhone 6 comes into tomorrow. I've been running iOS 7.1.2 on my iPhone 5 for the time being.

Any good suggestions while I move to the iPhone 6 and iOS 8.1.1?

I'll be setting the phone up as new.

2. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Have you scheduled a party and invited everyone

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

No I think the sarcasm has spoiled the excitement.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You did know it may have a tendency to bend? :p Please post of the slightest bend.

5. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I showed my kitchen designer my new phone and she asked if it had bent yet?! :D

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

7. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Looks like you will have to wait a while because 8.1.1 has not been released to the public yet (unless you have a developer access to the betas).

8. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

I just ordered mine and it says 7-14 days before it ships. Get a case for that bad boy pronto lol.

9. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

get a new designer that does believe everything she reads.

10. raam89 macrumors member

Ignore such people. Other than setting it as new, there's not much to suggest. Welcome to the club and enjoy your new phone.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I just got mine 2 days ago, so while others will call you late to the party, I can totally relate to your excitement

I've heard people say that you should set up as new, but I restored from an iTunes backup of my previous phone, which is also what I did with my previous iPhone before that. It seems to be the quickest and easiest way to get back all your settings and content from your previous phone, and I have not encountered any problems.

I think you'll love your new phone. I certainly do. Coming from a 4" display the 4.7" is so much nicer. One handed use isn't quite as easy as it used to be, as I sometimes have to readjust my grip to reach corners of the screen (I'm an average sized man with average sized hands), but it's still really comfortable. The power button on the side takes some getting used to.

I put a thin, clear case on it and I love the thinness and curved edges. It actually makes the 5/5s look small and blocky in comparison.

12. Imory macrumors 6502a

Expect more bugs and performance related issues. Some lag here and there, otherwise it's pretty much the same, iOS-wise.

13. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Get ready to jail break that bad boy. It's nice getting one later, a good stable jail break is already ready.

14. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Your business account to be provisioned? I've setup new accounts and activated additional lines and the "provisioning process" has never taken more than 20 minutes or so. Not sure what you did.

You should set it up as used instead.

15. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Go to felixbruns.de, and download the 8.1 ISPW while you wait for it to arrive, so you can just plug it in and update it past 8.0 which it will ship with. I had a problem regarding that when switching from my iPhone 5 on 8.1 - my iCloud backup wouldn't restore to the iPhone 6 unless I updated it. But since you have 7.1.2 that won't be a problem for you. Still, it's nice to have it all ready before you boot it up and have to make the update OTA.

16. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

Sounds like the OP is setting up as new, so an old backup from a newer iOS is not an issue here.

I would complete the set-up with whatever it comes with (possibly 8.1 but likely 8.0.2) and once complete, before loading apps or media, then do the update to 8.1 (while connected to iTunes ... I try to avoid OTA updates as something always seems to get mucked up).

17. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Register Touch ID fingerprint twice, so say your thumb, register it twice

And follow battery tips

18. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Enjoy your new phone! I think if you set it up from new you will avoid 80% of the issues people complain about here. And be thankful that 8.1 (and soon to be 8.1.1) are much less buggy than 8.0 was - you've upgraded at the right time.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Congrats!!!!! How is it? :)

20. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Thanks! I do my best to ignore such people. I use to be into some really unhealthy habits at one point in my life. Looking forwarded to little things like an iPhone 6 is exciting for me and most importantly, it's good, clean, fun.

Thanks for the reply! With all the issues surrounding iOS 8, I would like to avoid any probable bugs. Since I'll be setting up as new, whatever does become problematic, I can attribute that to the underlying code, something out of my control until the next update.

Your case sounds awesome! Still looking for a good one myself.

This was exactly my plan. Hopefully, a lot of the bugs people are experiencing, I can avoid by doing this method you've mentioned here.

Great tips! I really do appreciate the positive reply. I'm definitely going to take your suggestion on the fingerprint registration.

That's the plan! I'm kind of glad I waited as well. Some of the issues have been ironed out and in the meantime, I was running on a rock solid 7.1.2.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to set it up yet. I'm switching from sprint to Verizon and there's a couple things that I need to take care of on my sprint account before the number becomes activated with my Verizon phone. Plus, I'm going hiking in the Angeles national Forest tomorrow and I don't want to take my brand-new baby out with me. ;)