iPhone 6 as a gift for mom?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ann P, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Ann P macrumors 68020

Just wondering if anyone got the iPhone 6 as a gift for their moms. How is she liking it so far? Any issues navigating the device? I want to upgrade my mom's 5S but I'm afraid the 6 is too big for her. Obviously there'll be different answers but I appreciate your inputs, thanks!

2. psylence2k macrumors 6502

It's impossible for us to know how your mom personally will feel about a Iphone 6.

If she has a 5S already then there shouldn't be any "navigation" issues as I'm assuming you're talking about the general OS of the device which should be relatively the same to her 5S.

I would ask how small your mom's hands are but like I said it's all personal preference. I've seen people with small hands get a 6+ and love it while people with larger hands say a 6 is too big.

At the end of the day , the main things she would get out of a 6 is:

- bigger screen
    - better camera
    - faster Wifi

It all depends if those things will make a difference for her and what she mainly uses the phone for and if she uses it enough for those things to make a difference for her.

3. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

4. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I got my mum one not long after I got mine
    I used her 5c after I'd been using my 6 for a week and it felt tiny, her eyesight isn't the best and she loves the new one. Perfect upgrade for a oldie lol

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I've noticed allot of older moms tend to like the 6+ lol. My friends mom got it and I noticed she was squinting a whole lot less....I would sort of "probe" your mom to see what she thinks...be subtle like "My buddy got the iPhone 6+ but hes trading it in for the 6 because its too big for him, he says he feels like an old person looking at such a big screen" and see what she says back....just be creative and discrete :D

6. maflynn, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it all depends on your mother. I'd not buy an iPhone for my mother, because she barely uses her flip phone. She has an iPad, and she uses that occasionally. Both of which mean for my mother, an iPhone is not a good product

7. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

I gave my mom an iPad Mini last Mother's day and she absolutely loves it. She uses it more than the computer itself, as she sit at the table, on the couch, or in bed. She reads on it, plays games, and surfs the Internet. She now even prints from her iPad for coupons she receives.

I just gave her my iPhone 5 after I got the iPhone 6, and she also loves the iPhone. She loves the ease of taking pictures, surfing the Internet, and playing games.

In 2 years, I see her moving to the iPhone 6.

8. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Buy her an iPad or if you want to buy a phone, buy her the 6+. As said by another poster, mums prefer the bigger screen due to eyesight preferences. :D
    Needless to say, its a guess as we dont know your mom or what she likes.

Lucky mom nonetheless!

9. Damolee macrumors 6502

I would sooner a 5S and iPad then just a 6.

Just wait till she's flipping through recipes on that new iPad, she will never knew how she lived without it.