iPhone 6 AT&T preorder vs Next Plan Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twkroberts, Sep 17, 2014.

1. twkroberts, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

twkroberts macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks I have a question and I hope someone has a suggestion. I preordered the iPhone 6 under Apple for AT&T but did an early upgrade on contract and payed 549.00. I found out today that since I am a mobile share customer I will lose my 25.00 discount that I have been receiving on the line that I just upgraded. I am thinking about taking the iPhone 6 to the Apple Store sometime on Friday and switching over to the next plan. I would get my 549.00 refund and I would not lose my 25.00 discount. What do you think I should do? I really need some advice. Also is this possible and can Apple do this?

Thanks

2. jaw3net macrumors regular

jaw3net

Best bet is to go to the AT&T store. Apple will not be able to make adjustments to your plan.

3. twkroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

So your saying the best thing is AT&T Next?

Thanks

----------

But the AT&T store can switch the plan but Apple has to do the refund correct?

4. mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

absolutely return it and do next! If you are on a 10 gig or higher mobile share always do NEXT never do 2 year, lets take your situation for example(I'm gonna use 7% sales tax since thats what im used to)

Upfront cost $549 + $38.43 + $40 upgrade fee = $627.43 up front
    now add the cost of your service on a 2-year which is $40 a month x 24 months = $960

Total cost for phone plus service over 2 years = $1587.43

I'm assuming the retail cost of the phone you're talking about is $749 so correct me if I'm wrong, also this is doing the NEXT18 which is a 24 month program not the NEXT12 which is 20 months.

Upfront cost is 7% of $749 = $52.43 (yup thats it no upgrade fee with NEXT)
    now your service will be $15(you keep your $25 monthly discount with next) + $31.21(cost of phone) =$46.21 a month x 24 months = $1109.04

Total cost for phone plus service over 2 years = $1161.47

as you can see this is a no brainer, lower upfront costs and lower cost over time not to mention the benefit of being able to pay it off early if you want.

5. twkroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for a great explanation! I will get the new phone on Friday shipped to my house, so do you think if I take it to the Apple Store they can take care of the refund and switching it over to the next plan? Thanks again

6. mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

No problem I do these calculations daily lol :) you can imagine my frustration every once in a while when someone is so convinced that NEXT is ******** that they still do the 2 year even when I show them the math.

To answer your other question I am not sure how apple does the whole swapping around thing, I know for sure you can start a new NEXT upgrade/activation there but not sure if you can do it if it's an exchange. There is a thread active about asking an apple employee anything perhaps try there?

7. twkroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

8. lovelybai macrumors member

Att next is not available for in store purchase.
    You might have some problems.

I guess you could buy it in full price instead because you already
    have the discount in mobile share.

9. twkroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked with Apple and I found out when I get the phone I can contact AT&T and switch to the Next plan and then call Apple back and then they will refund my money I paid for the phone. Sounds easy, but most likely will not be.

10. RMSko macrumors 6502

I'm not sure this is right. My understanding after talking to AT&T is that you only get the $15/month fee if you are using a pre-existing phone. As soon as you get a new phone purchased from AT&T, they told me the monthly fee goes to $40/month. In other words, let's say I'm already on a plan and have an iPhone. If I switch to Next, my fee will go down to $15/month. However, if I then upgrade later and get a new phone, I believe the fee goes to $40/month. What I don't know is whether this applies the FIRST time you upgrade and switch to Next, but even if it doesn't, I think it would with your next upgrade.

In addition to the above, my monthly fee for the phone under a two year contract is $30 and not $40 (again, $40 is tne Next price). And, for me I get a 20% corporate discount so my month fee is actually just $24/month.

Also, you are in essence leasing the phone and the above calculation does not take into account the value of the iPhone if you buy it with a 2 year plan. After 2 years AT&T will allow you to unlock the phone and it would be worth a fair amount on eBay. You also could keep it as a backup if you wanted.

Finally, AT&T is pushing the Next program VERY hard. The only reason they would be doing that IMO is if they make more money from it. I just don't see the Next program as being worth it, but it's a personal decision.

11. jaw3net macrumors regular

jaw3net

mrjoeyjiffy calculated correctly. when you're on a next plan, your monthly fee is a discounted price of $25 (from $40).

I think the AT&T rep was talking about a 2 year contract. Whenever you buy a phone on a 2yr contract, there is a one-time $40 activation fee as well as a monthly $40 phone access fee.

AT&T next is the better option, especially if you're on a family mobile share plan. See http://att.com/next and https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

12. twkroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

Now after the message I am having second thoughts about this switching from the contract over to the next. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

13. RMSko macrumors 6502

I am 100% certain that I am paying a monthly $30 access fee under a two year contract. In fact, my upgrade receipt even says that I will have a $30 monthly fee. However, maybe this is because I am grandfathered under an older plan, although I'm not certain. Also, for me, I also get a discount so I end up paying $24 per month per line (AT&T has many corporate discount programs). The bottom line is that Next is not always the better choice. I did the math and for me I would definitely come out worse with Next - and that doesn't even factor in the value of the phone at the end of the two year contract period. Of course the advantage with Next is you can get a new phone every year instead, but for me, that's not enough of a reason.

14. mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

If you are paying a $30 access fee you are on the old version of mobile share from last year not mobile share VALUE. I am talking about mobile share value as it is the only one with variable access fees($15 or $40 if you're on 10 gig or higher)

There is nothing to debate here the math is simple you are just on a different plan here friend.

This is as simple as I can make it, if you are on ANY plan besides Mobile Share Value you WILL pay more in the long run with NEXT, if you are on a mobile share value that is under 10 gigs then you need to do the math and figure what works best for you because its often close(if you have a scenario and would like me to break it down let me know and I will do it for you). If you are on a 10 gig or higher mobile share value then you should ALWAYS do next(or bring your own device, or full retail) just do NOT sign up for a new 2-year agreement as that is the least cost efficient.