Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brdl04

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
the D
I have read on forums that Apple has not deactivated CDMA on Att and Tmobile iPhone 6.

I would like someone to confirm that their ATT iPhone 6 is factory unlocked and works on Verizon.

Thanks in advance.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I would like someone to confirm that their ATT iPhone 6 is factory unlocked and works on Verizon.

I've tried it. It works, including CDMA functions. However, you need to have an existing Verizon account and a working SIM. Verizon won't technically "activate" a non-VZW iPhone 6. It appears as a "unknown, non-VZW" device on their system.

Brdl04

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
the D
I've tried it. It works, including CDMA functions. However, you need to have an existing Verizon account and a working SIM. Verizon won't technically "activate" a non-VZW iPhone 6. It appears as a "unknown, non-VZW" device on their system.

Excellent. Thanks. I do have an active VZW sim

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
if you have any issues such as :
no wifi calling
no VOLTE
no visual voice mail
no tethering

reseed the sim card.

turn off iPhone
remove sim card
wait a few minutes
turn on iPhone
wait for the iPhone to unlock, and go to the home screen and say NO SIM
insert sim card

this will force the iPhone to update the sim card and get the latest carrier profiles. it should restore any missing features that you have on your iPhone 6

some features like Simultaneous Voice and DATA may take a few days to come online. that was the case i had on launch day

i believe the iPhone needs to be connected to WIFI to get the latest carrier profiles. but at the time i never bothered to prove that.

switching a sim card when its powered on, or allowing the iPhone to power on with a different sim card does not seem to do everything that reseeding does.

verizon will actually tell you that in order to update the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) you have to reseed the sim card, and that dialing *228 is disabled on LTE handsets.

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
if you buy an AT&T unlocked iPhone from the AT&T store it is sold LOCKED and you must unlock it

if you buy an iPhone full price from the apple store, it is sold unlocked

even if you pay full price and buy it from the AT&T store you still need to submit an unlock

you need to be a post paid customer for 60 days before you pay full price for that iPhone. or you need to be a post paid customer for 60 days after you buy that iPhone

if you are on a go phone pre paid plan them you need 6 months of service

egonpax

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
What would be a good course of action if I wanted to switch from AT&T to Verizon and I have the unlocked T-Mobile 6+ bought from Apple?

dwhair

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
ATT unlocked my iPhone 6

I had my iPhone 6 swapped out at the Apple Store and was given a replacement. I decided to try my luck and filled out the form with att to unlock my device. After 2 days I got the following message:

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Congratulations! Here are your unlock instructions:

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.

2. Ensure the original SIM card that came with this device is inserted in your iPhone.

3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.

4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.

5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014.

Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

I bought the phone under 2 year contract so maybe I just got lucky. :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

This. If you have an existing Verizon SIM you are good. If you do not, they would not activate anything other than a Verizon iPhone on their network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.