iphone 6+ audio quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jstuts5797, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

There are a few things I noticed about audio quality on the 6+ that I've noticed and wondered if anyone else has as well or I'm still just in the honeymoon period where everything is better even if it's not. Apple didn't claim to improve audio quality at all but the quality coming from the one board speaker is much louder and improved. However I noticed even a larger improvement with the apple ear pods. I'm not sure if it's improved ear pods or if it's something to do hardware wise in the phone itself but it's quite impressive. I can hear bass now without having to use the EQ. Music is more crisp, vibrant, and louder. In fact this is the first iphone I've ever had where I didn't have to crank the volume up to max it very near it to get the loudness and quality I wanted.

Has anyone else noticed any of these positive differences? Anyone care to chime in on why Apple would leave out mentioning audio improvements when music is so so important to their business? Just wasn't expecting it is all. I've been very very pleasantly surprised. In general I'm finding that Apple really under promised and over delivered on this phone in so many areas.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The loudspeaker is excellent. It isn't in the least bit bright, tinny or harsh and has a very pleasing warm sound to it. The most bass I have heard from a mobile phone loudspeaker too!

3. blooperz macrumors 6502

Probably because almost nobody uses a built in phone speaker to listen to music.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I wouldn't listen to an album but I regularly watch tv shows and listen to You Tube music snippets, plus short films etc. Loudspeaker quality matters to me and I use it regularly. When you've had a good one, it's difficult to go back to a tinny loudspeaker.

5. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I don't have my 6 plus yet, I can only go from my experience on my 5g Touch, the SQ is always better in my experience with the eq off, I thought the SQ on the 16gb 5g touch I have is very good I'm hoping the 6 plus is at least that good.

6. rugmankc, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I find the speaker audio exceptional compared to previous Android and HTC phones I have owned. Very happy.

Phones by HTC

Nexus One and One S

7. Damolee macrumors 6502

It's good. But it ain't HTC One M8 good. That thing is on a different level to all other phones.

8. themyst macrumors 6502

As a former HTC One MAX owner, I can say although the 6+ is a nice improvement over previous iPhones, but the HTC one series is still king there.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I disagree. I think it sounds better than the M8. I've played a song on both (we have both phones in the household) and the 6+ sounds better. It is warmer, less edgy and generally more pleasant to listen to. Sure the M8 goes louder, and has front facing speakers, but none of that affects sound quality. Stereo is rather pointless too when the speakers are so close together, although it isn't a negative. The 6+ would be even better with two of these luscious speaker units. Overall though, I'm amazed by how good the 6+ loudspeaker is. I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as nice audio as the M8 so to even better it (subjective) is a real bonus.

10. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Guess I should listen to an M8 next time in phone store--see what I think--not prejudiced one way or another--it is what it is to my ears :)

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My listening tests were done in a quiet room and at low volume.

12. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Unfortunately I will be in a store--But, it is BOOM Sound--Correct :)

13. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Improved DAC surely in the Apple A8, iPhones have one of the best DACS in a mobile device on the market

The Apple A8 is truly a beast

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

On sheer volume the M8 wins, but at lower levels I prefer the sound of the 6+. I haven't listened to either at a loud volume but I should imagine that the M8 would 'win'. Heck, the Note 4 won a loudest speaker test...and it's a tinny, nasty speaker. Depends what you value more, quality or quantity.

15. Jstuts5797 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking necessarily about sound quality from the loudspeaker but more of the audio output through the aux jack. Using the same headphones on the 6+ vs the 5s... The 6+ sounds remarkably better.

16. cmdrdredd macrumors member

I don't know about previous iPhones but I can tell you that the iPhone blows away Samsung in both the quality and the power output from the headphone port. I have a set of Sennheiser headphones as my standard and I noticed it immediately.

17. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

This. HTC One M8 has the best speakers on a smartphone. Front facing speakers make a huge difference with just about everything sound related. One thing I truly miss with my OPO, which has absolutely mediocre speakers.

18. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

So the general consensus seems to indicated similar or better audio performance to the 5s which was a god send over the average iPhone 5 (the audio quality was better than the competition but worse than older iPhones). The best sounding iPhone is perceived to be the iPhone 4 with the 4s close behind. Most people seem to be recommending those still with iPhone 4 to the 6 and 6+ since it can run much more powerful headphones (which means able to run 32+ohms headphones). The forums over at Head-Fi are available if you would like more in depths information. http://www.head-fi.org/t/733890/iphone-6-6-plus-audio-quality/720

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

20. Bahroo macrumors 68000

the speaker is 2nd to the M8, M8 having dual speakers in front facing form. the 6 plus speaker is fantastic though and is plenty loud, and doesnt crackle at all even at high volume

21. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Forget the speaker, what do people think of quality over headphones?

My 6+ is OK, but I'm not as impressed as I was with my 4S.

Considering both Sony and Samsung have stepped up their game with their flagships, I hope it's one of the next areas Apple really focuses on.

22. cmdrdredd macrumors member

Neither Sony or Samsung match the iPhone through headphones unamplified. The 4S was a bigger jump over previous models I believe in this area which is why it seems like you "aren't as impressed".