iPhone 6 backlight issue - anyone else?

masciam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Hi everyone,
This sunday a relative that lives in the US came back home to visit and brought me an iPhone 6 he was able to buy on launch day. The moment I turned it on for the first time I noticed there was something wrong with the display.

There's a dark spot on the top left corner where the backlight apparently isn't working or maybe it's being blocked by something. This is easily noticeable if brightness is at 60% or lower.

It's not a big deal and I'll probably wait until demand for the new iphones is lower so I can get it replaced quickly, but I was just curious if anyone else had the same issue?

Also, the weird thing is the dark spot is getting smaller. At first it was 1/2"in diameter, now it's maybe half of that.

Here's a picture of what it looked like on sunday (sorry for the quality, I had to take it with my webcam).

Marli

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Most of the Apple products, and any other manufacturer I own have shading on the LCD if you look hard enough. It just goes with the technology.. It never is an issue with normal use..

darkredcaffeine

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I have dark top corners on the LCD but they're nowhere near as defined as yours. Darker spots are normal on LCDs, although yours does look on the extreme end of normal (might just be the light though).

masciam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
I know it's hard to judge from the picture but it really is noticeable. I know that lcd displays usually have uneven backlight but this really is extreme, specially on white backgrounds like safari or the messaging app.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I know it's hard to judge from the picture but it really is noticeable. I know that lcd displays usually have uneven backlight but this really is extreme, specially on white backgrounds like safari or the messaging app.
I did have one like that that and took it in to get replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.