iPhone 6 battery advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RJCP, Jun 14, 2015.

1. RJCP macrumors 6502

hi guys, I just wanted to get a few opinions on the battery life I'm getting on my iPhone 6.

From a single charge and checking the usage setting, I can get to 1% with 10h of usage (mostly Safari and Facebook) and 1 day and a few hours of standby time. Other days, when I use it more and if I'm in a poor reception area, I'll get home in the evening with about 20/30% left.

How does this sound to you? I was tempted to do a DFU restore and starting as a new phone to see if I could make it stretch a bit more and also because I've been restoring from an iCloud backup which was originally created in 2013. However, because I've now got the watch, doing s full restore without recovering a backup would mean loosing all my workout data and having to start fresh with my watch as well.

Also, what do you think about the option of doing only an operating system reinstall (connecting to iTunes, pressing both buttons on the phone until it reboots, but on the restore window that pops up choosing update instead of restoring?). That should just replace the operating system files and kind of reset the application libraries and frameworks, no?

Any advice/opinion would be most welcome.
    Thanks

2. c55 macrumors regular

c55

That sounds pretty normal. Data is the #1 battery killer. But you should not be doing a DFU restore, it's completely unnecessary. If you want to do a factory restore you should plug it into the computer and hit "restore"
    Make sure data is backed up
    Edit: didn't see the second part. Doing a restore will wipe the current iOS version and reinstall factory version

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Sounds about right.

Biggest battery killer I've found is a bad signal. At home/work with a 3/4 blob 4G signal (or LTE for the yanks) I can get 2/3 days of normal use. Go and visit my Mum in a bad signal area with no service at the back of the house and 1/2 blobs of 3G at the front and it'll eat 5% an hour just in standby.

4. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Bad signal + GPS.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

6. RJCP thread starter macrumors 6502

2/3 days of usage is quite a lot. The maximum I've managed to get out of mine were 2 full days. At the moment it's sitting at 45% with 4h30m of usage. I don't know why but for a while now it just seems to be lasting less. The report I get from the usage screen still seems fairly the same, but it somehow doesn't translate into real word usage all the time.
    I've had it checked at the Genius Bar and they've showed me the battery report said the battery health was at 95% which is quite good considering the phone is 9 months old and that it's been used as a SatNav for a total of about 4000 miles (plugged into car chargers and occasionally not really getting full charges and discharges).
    It was the guy at the Genius Bar who recommended I did a DFU followed by a setup as a new phone without restoring from backup. I would be able to get my messages back because I've got an app on my Mac that does that, the problem is the Watch data. I really don't want to go back to zero with the Watch and lose my health and workout data.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It sounds fine. I wouldn't bother DFuing it for very little potential gain.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

some settings like having email push instead of fetch. background app refresh and things like that also decrease battery life. also, if you have access to wifi always use that instead. screen brightness as well. and also certain apps that want to push notifications too. especially Facebook that one is a hog. i don't have any app send me notifications unless i open it to check it.