Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Hi everyone;

I bought a 64gig iPhone 6 back in October (launch day of my country) and coming from an iPhone 4S, battery life was amazing at first. It could actually get me through the day, which starts at 7:30 am and ends sometime between 9pm and 1 am. When I came home at midnight for example I'd have ~5-10% still with 5-6 hours of usage.

However for the past 2-3 weeks, despite my usage not being changed at all my iPhone hits below 10% around 5-6pm. I did lots of things, hard reset, draining the battery all the way down and all the usual stuff I know from owning an iPhone for the past 7-8 years. None worked.

Coconut battery on my Mac shows only 89% capacity only 200 cycles later. Is this normal? Or does Apple have a warranty for the iPhone battery like the MacBooks? ("X" amount of capacity available after x cycles warranty)

Should I take an appointment and bring it to the Apple Store hoping for a replacement?

p.s. Sorry for the long post, bad habit of mine.

TL;DR: iPhone 6 battery not doing as well as it did with only 89% battery capacity left after 6 months. Should I take it to the Apple Store?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 22.39.46.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 22.39.46.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,368

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Apple does have a criteria for replacing the battery under warranty. Take it in to an Apple Store and they will run diagnostics on it and determine if the battery needs to be replaced.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Apple does have a criteria for replacing the battery under warranty. Take it in to an Apple Store and they will run diagnostics on it and determine if the battery needs to be replaced.

Wouldn't it help to know what that number was? For example a minimum 90% battery capacity warranty up to 500 cycles?

Or else it'll all be up to the Apple Store employee's initiative.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Wouldn't it help to know what that number was? For example a minimum 90% battery capacity warranty up to 500 cycles?

Or else it'll all be up to the Apple Store employee's initiative.

They do have a number, and a graph in their diagnostics that plots the health of the battery and shows thresholds for replacement. I don't know what those numbers are though. Apple used to state that the battery should be able to go through 1,000 charge cycles and still retain 80% of its capacity. Now they just say "a high number" on their website.

vjobs

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2013
Amsterdam, Netherlands
They do have a number, and a graph in their diagnostics that plots the health of the battery and shows thresholds for replacement. I don't know what those numbers are though. Apple used to state that the battery should be able to go through 1,000 charge cycles and still retain 80% of its capacity. Now they just say "a high number" on their website.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

They still state that the battery should be able to go through 1,000 charge cycles with retain 80% of its capacity... ;)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My 6+ is four months old and has been through 152 charge cycles. The capacity is 101%.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Any (free) app on windows or the iPhone to check the nubmer of cycles and capacity?

I refuse to buy an app on the PC/MAC and found that Battery Doc on the app store has a Healthy tab with that info on it. I believe the app was $.99. Whether or not it is accurate... I cannot say. But it's been consistent for me saying my 6+ has 35 charge cycles (I guestimate that to be correct based on my usage). It says my Cap left is 105.1% from new.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I was wondering the same. my iPhone 6 is already at 89% health after 200 cycles while my iPhone 5 still has 93% after 500 cycles and twice the age

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not that this is happening but my old 2008 MacBooks battery reported 101-105% capacity left just before the battery started to swell using coconut battery.

I was wondering the same. my iPhone 6 is already at 89% health after 200 cycles while my iPhone 5 still has 93% after 500 cycles and twice the age

It kinda shows that the apps we use to test our batteries is not worth the gas out of a dogs butt. The Coconut apps showed my 6 to be at 101% with 76 cycles and common sense tells me that is not right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.