Iphone 6 - battery drain after ios 9 update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dawesie1, Feb 12, 2016.

1. dawesie1 macrumors newbie

I am really concerned about the health of my battery since I upgraded to ios9. Previously I used to get around 8 hoursof usage and ever since ios 9 it's gone down to about 6, 25% reduction. All the standard settings are switched off that may drain the battery and I don't understand why the same set up can be so different.

In addition, since yesterday a strange thing has been happening; one minute it will be on x% and then the next drop by about 20-30% without touching it. It was on 39% just a couple of minutes ago, I did some updates and within 2 mins the "below 20%" warning came on - it was 17%, then within 2 mins its 13%. 4.5 hours from a full battery. To me, this seems like a hardware fault. Best to go to vodafone or apple store?

2. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

It seems that ios 9, or one of the point updates messed up the battery gauge. Apple admitted as much for the 6s, but I think the 6 is affected as well.

3. dawesie1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks.

I've had iOS 9 for over a month and it's only just started happening, which is strange. Seems right tho, it's gone from 10 to 6% in 4 hours.

Any fix for this or do I now just have to guess how much battery is left?

4. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Try running it to zero to calibrate the battery? I'd still go to Apple to exclude a hardware fault. BTW have you been in cold weather conditions?

5. dawesie1 thread starter macrumors newbie

A
    already done that.

Not particularly cold, no. Could it be moisture from the air, say if the phone was in or near a bathroom with lots of steam?

6. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Heat doesn't do that - extended exposure to cold (many threads here about that) can cause temporary diminished battery capacity. The best on phone battery app I've tried might help:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1048805552?mt=8

7. dawesie1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will check it out.

Understand your point about the heat/cold, but surely the condensation in the air in the bathroom is no good for the phone? It is essentially water, after all.