iPhone 6 battery drain overnight (~25% to 0%)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dndandrea, Sep 29, 2014.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

Am I the only one experiencing this? I usually set my alarm at 11PM for 5AM-7AM. Roughly 6-8 hours of standby time. I go to bed with a reasonable amount of battery life (25% or more). All my background applications are closed out except the clock for my alarm. (and I have disabled the ability for apps to refresh in the background). This morning was the third time it has happened.

Honestly, during the day my phone seems to be okay. Sure, i'm having to charge it every day. But it seems to be better than my iPhone 5. Is there anyway for Apple to diagnose this problem or will they probably just brush it off?

2. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

You went to bed and you didn't put your iPhone on charge? why?

3. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Who cares, it's not the issue.

Yes OP, I notice that my girlfriend's 6 drains a fair bit overnight too, especially compared to my 6+.

4. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

I was charging my iPhone 5. I don't like leaving a phone on a charger at 100% for hours every day. I have heard it's not good for battery life.

Either way, the argument was why is it draining so fast in standby mode?

5. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

reset your cellular data before bed and do it all over again tonight. see if it's an application draining your data. I noticed on iOS 8 that a lot or all of the apps now ask for using your location even when the application is 'NOT' running.

6. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

What is resetting cellular data and how do I do it? I've also noticed that apps seem to be running in the background even when they're all closed out.

Edit: ohhh do you mean the statistics? Wouldn't it be using wifi while i'm at home sleeping though?

7. mastershakess macrumors 6502

i went to bed with 30% the other night and woke up with 28%, do you have it connected to Wifi all night?

8. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

The location of where I put my phone is close to where I lose wifi, but it should be connected to wifi and not LTE. Is it safe to assume that the battery would die if it was under LTE instead overnight? Even in standby mode?

edit: scratch that. It definitely stays connected to wifi in that position, not LTE.

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

It should but just to rule out nothing is running in the background.

10. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Do you have it pushing emails to the phone all night or are you getting a lot of updates from say sports or news apps all night?

11. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

actually that is very good for your phone, a battery only has a set number of discharges once you go through them your battery is dead...if you never discharge your battery it will last longer, easy as that....

12. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

Gotta be something running in the backround. Shut down the apps before going to bed.

13. joeblow7777, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Strange. I don't have a 6 yet, but my 5s never loses more than 1 or 2% max over night. Usually it doesn't go down even 1% after 6-7 hours of standby.

If it continues to be a problem, I would suggest putting your phone in airplane mode over night, turn off push notifications, and as others have said, close background apps.

14. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

15. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

See if the GPS icon is in your upper right area of the screen. And then check what apps are using it.

Something has to be actively using your phone resources when it's sitting idle.

16. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea, i'll report back tomorrow with my findings.

No. I set it so I have to manually check.

I do not have a GPS icon on my phone now, but I will check again before I go to bed.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Not entirely true. Maintaining a 100% charge all the time isn't necessarily great for your battery. It should be charged and discharged regularly. The electrons need to flow.

18. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Very false, where did you hear that?

19. lke macrumors 6502a

If you can't reset the battery stats then they have to put that option

20. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

This is a complete myth left over from the days of NiMH and NiCd batteries and is totally untrue for Li-ion. You should always keep your phone as charged as possible and sitting on the charger at 100% isn't going to hurt it.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that keeping it plugged in at 100% hurts the battery, but I have read in various places (usually referring to laptops, because they're more likely to be used plugged in) that NEVER discharging your battery does shorten its life.

22. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent.

One common misconception is that Li-ion batteries will only count charge cycles if the battery is drained completely in one session; another is that the battery counts one charge cycle for every instance the device is unplugged and plugged in again. Neither of these is true—Li-ion batteries actually count charge cycles based on a 100 percent discharge even when it's summed over multiple sessions. For example, if you discharge a battery to 50 percent one day, charge it back to 100 percent, then discharge it 50 percent again the next day, that is counted as one "cycle" of the battery. So shallow discharges, in all these regards, are ideal for a Li-ion battery.

On the other end of the spectrum, keeping a Li-ion battery fully charged is not good for it either. This isn't because Li-ion batteries can get "overcharged" (something that people used to worry about in The Olden Days of portable computers), but a Li-ion battery that doesn't get used will suffer from capacity loss, meaning that it won't be able to hold as much charge and power your gadgets for as long. Extremely shallow discharges of only a couple percent are also not enough to keep a Li-ion battery in practice, so if you're going to pull the plug, let the battery run down for a little bit.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery/

23. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

Something doesn't sound right. The last couple of time I checked my iPhone 6+ I was losing 1-2% over night and that is from 12-7. If your losing 25% or more something is running or a glitch somewhere.