iPhone 6+ battery drain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjb59463, Dec 5, 2014.

1. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    I've been having some problems with my 6+ lately, and was wondering if anyone had experienced the same.

I got my 6+ on 8.0.2, and the battery life was stellar for about 3 weeks after I got it. My phone would regularly last 10-11 hours with my usage pattern. I then started to notice my battery declining. With the exact same usage pattern, my phone would only last 8-9 hours. During this time, no new apps were installed, and no settings changed that I am aware of.

I updated to 8.1.1, thinking it would help. Nothing really changed, and if anything, my battery has gotten worse. My phone with that same usage only lasts around 7-8 hours. I have begun turning cellular data off when I'm around wifi, but it does not help at all. Location Services and Background App Refresh are both off as well.

Also, the battery began to drain noticeably with the screen off. A recent example of that would be tonight. My phone was at 94% and in Airplane mode when I went downstairs to do some laundry. I was gone for 10 minutes, and when I returned, my phone was at 89%.

Has anyone else had these issues, or have any suggestions as to what I could do to remedy this problem?

Any help is welcome.
    Thanks.

2. reery macrumors regular

reery

Try installing a tool zo track CPU usage. eg SystemTools/Status.

Mine was also sucking battery and I found out that CPU usage was 50% even while idle and screen off. Closing unused apps helped me here.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I've been experiencing the battery drain as well on my 6 + 128 GB on 8.1.1 and I've had mine over a month. But I turned off my Battery % so it doesn't really bother me anymore and I just charge mine every night before going to bed.

It's been getting worse on each update from my experience. On 8.0, I could get 15-17 hours of usage and on each update, i've been noticing battery drain. I believe there is still a bug on 8.1.1 that hasn't been fixed.

I've done many DFU mode factory restore and setting up new but problem still remains, probably because I play games on mine so I can't really complain there.

One suggestion is go to go on your battery stat page and see what has been using up the most. Also while you are still there, write down the usage time and standby time, then turn off the screen and don't use it for 5-10 minutes. After 5-10 minutes, your standby time will always go up, but if your usage went up <1 minute then there is nothing wrong but if the usage when up 5-10 minutes while screen was off, then something is running in the background.

If you think that battery is still draining, make an appointment with the genius bar and see what the experts say. They can run the diagnostics and see what is wrong.

4. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I have found that some third party apps have not played nice with iOS 8 I had to remove all third party apps and then re-add them one at a time to find the battery draining apps. In my case it was the app Voxer.

5. mjb59463 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to restore my phone from scratch and start installing apps one by one to see their effects on the battery.

Someone asked what my most used app was, and that is safari. Over the past 7 days, it has accounted for 40% usage.

6. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I noticed a huge increase when I disabled location services for apps that I don't use that much.

7. goknicks macrumors member

Restoring (as new) worked for me.

also had the weird battery drain after 8.1.1

8. mjb59463 thread starter macrumors 6502

My location services and background app refresh are both off entirely