iPhone 6 battery drops in more than 1% increments

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bluewomble88, Oct 15, 2014.

1. bluewomble88 macrumors regular

As the title suggests.

Had it just over a week. It will visibly hold on at 16% for example and then step down to 14% and miss out 15% altogether.
    On other occasions it has dropped from 31% to 29% in one go. Very annoying. My iphone 5 did this but with bigger chunks (18% to 14% for example).

I've only charged it three times but never from totally flat.

Any ideas?

2. Pluto88888 macrumors regular

I think iOS bug happens on my both iPhone6/Plus.

3. DeanLubaki macrumors regular

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Gotta be the iOS 8 bug, mine does that too. Hopefully 8.1 will come out tomorrow and fix majority of the issues.

5. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Might be worth calibrating the battery - run down battery completely until the phone turns off, and then recharge fully to 100%.

6. DeanLubaki macrumors regular

Well, I'm using 8.1 beta 2 and it's still happening...

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well that is interesting but i'm getting mixed responses because some say that the battery drain is fixed and some say they aren't. What my concern is whether the stacks+backboardd issue is fixed on 8.1. I keep getting this log on the diagnostic and usage page.

Anyways I noticed mine draining horribly couple days so I decided to do a DFU factory restore to 8.0 and did a fresh install and set up as new and unplugged my phone at 5:30 am this morning and it's still 100% (with 30 minute usage). Prior to this, my battery went from 100% to 99% in just 20 minute, which isn't right because most of the time it's always after 30 minute of use that I lose 1%. But doesn't really matter.

But I did notice a huge drain because before going to bed it was at 75% and woke up to 70% 7 hours later. So something was clearly running in the background. I normally just lose 0% to 1% overnight.

8. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok this is really annoying me.

60% and 54% battery simply do not exist on my iPhone 6. It always jumps from 61 and 55 respectively. I let the phone completely discharge and I then recharged to 100%. The thing is, once I unplugged, I noticed it draining to 89% within an hour with just 25mins of use. I switched it off and back on, the battery was at 95% !!!

I'm so frustrated. I'm m on my third iphone 6 now, the other 2 did not do this.

9. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

Update.

15% battery does NOT exist on my iPhone. It has on every occasion dropped from 16 to 14 and it did so just now. I then immediately plugged it in and it jumped back to 16. I unplugged it and it dropped to 14.

What does this mean? Have I got a broken battery? This is my third iphone 6 and this issue is happening at other times too (60% also doesn't exist for example).

I am so, so annoyed. Can anyone share their thoughts on this please?

10. bnekic, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  11. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing works.
    I have tried everything you can mention. I have let the battery die 3 times now, recharged for 6 hours uninterrupted to past 100%, and performed hard resets. 60% battery does NOT exist on my iPhone 6. Neither does 50%, or 15%, or 10%. it just jumps and misses those out.

Do I have a broken phone?
    Is there any way I can run the diagnostics that Apple used to check?

12. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

If you chat with Apple online they can actually run a remote diagnostic check on your phone.

The last thing I could think of is this...This is what was causing my battery to drain 25-30% overnight,

Constant LTE to 4G switching:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You guys seriously think this is a problem because it doesn't display every single percent digit that goes down?
    That indicator is there just to give you a general idea and not up to the second accurate. Off course it will drop 2-5 percentages or more at a time here and there.
    Find something better to do and stop worrying over nothing.
    Better yet turn the percentage indicator off and stop calling AppleCare over nonsense. Get a hobby instead of sitting there waiting to see if the battery thing skips a digit.

14. DeanLubaki macrumors regular

What? Who the hell do you think you are? I've had every single iPhone, and this is the first time it's happening, so I think it's legitimate to wonder why it's happening.
    And by the way, I don't even need to wait for it to drop. I wake up my screen, 45%, after 30 secs of usage, it's drops to 43 or 42%.

15. Applejuiced, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm just a normal person that doesn't stress or get crazy about such nonsense.
    All my iPhone's always dropped battery percentage numbers randomly. If I do heavy battery intensive use as video games, Gps navigation it goes fast and never falls one by one.
    And guess what? I'm not having a heart attack over it cause I can charge it again when the battery gets low.
    Seek professional attention :D

16. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

Another update....

Something odd is happening.
    60% still does not exist on my phone. It dropped from 61 to 59 so I immediately plugged it in and it went back to 61. When I unplugged, it dropped to 59. However, 50% also never used to exist but on this charge cycle my battery fell from 51 to 50 as you'd expect. But, 30% also does not exist. Drops from 31 to 29, skips 30 when I plug back in etc.

I also noticed when I charged it up, it went through 10% normally whereas before it would drop from 11 to 9.

Could it be the battery needs a few more charging cycles to fully wake up?

I must admit, I haven't yet upgraded to 8.1. Maybe that will help.

----------

Go get a hobby?
    Like trolling people on public discussion forums?