iPhone 6 Battery issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shandyman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. shandyman Suspended

Roughly just over a week ago, I've noticed a significant increase in my daily battery drain and cannot figure out why.

I unplug about 6am every morning. Up until about 10 days ago, I would have about 70% left when I got home at 6pm. Now I'm getting home with less than 20%. The change was practically overnight, or over the weekend at least. I've tried a fresh install. I've tried removing the Facebook and Google Hangout apps, as I originally suspected them. I turned background app refresh off. Still no joy. I've tried fully draining the battery and recharging. Nada.

What I noticed today is that the battery usage section states that Usage time is 9 hours 53 minutes and standby time is 11 hours 29 minutes and it was down to 7%. I'm at work all day and my phone is in my pocket not being used for about 7 hours, so surely my usage time should be at least 6 hours less than the standby time?! I'm sure it was a bigger gap than that before, but sadly no screenshots to evidence the old usage time.

Am I right about the usage time thing?!

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Based on the numbers that are showing in battery usage I wonder if it is a battery calibration issue? Basically your percentage shown is not truly accurate of the % you have remaining.

You could try the instructions noted in this link:

http://http://www.appledystopia.com/how-to/calibrate-iphone-battery/

If that does not help possible that you may have a faulty battery unfortunately.

3. shandyman thread starter Suspended

How would that have an effect on the sudden increase of usage time?

Did that calibration before though.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps some mail/calendar/contacts account is stuck syncing something in the background or something like that? You might want to try signing out of iCloud and perhaps other accounts and then signing back into them to see if that might make a difference (perhaps restarting the phone in between those actions).

You can also try resetting network settings or even all settings to see if that might make a difference if nothing else has worked. And of course there's the bigger step of just restoring as new if nothing else has worked to see if that would help.

5. shandyman thread starter Suspended

Did a clean install, so already covered that. Thanks tho.

Just don't get why it claims the usage time. My friend, who had about the same real usage as me, his one shows more realistic.

6. shandyman thread starter Suspended

Safari is showing as using 31% of the battery, which is weird since I have cleared it out of the fast app switcher/multitask menu. Background app refresh is disabled too since the clean install on Sunday. Installed 8.2 last night too as an upgrade.

Going to do another clean install tonight with 8.2. Think an Apple Store visit is next on the list for this weekend, see if they can diagnose anything.

Anyone got any other ideas before then?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you used Safari a decent amount over that time in general? 31% means that basically 1/3 of the time that you used your phone it was doing something in Safari, which isn't that unusual for many people who might use Safari more than various other apps or functions on the phone. Unless of course you barely used it and it's still like that.

8. shandyman thread starter Suspended

No more than 15 minutes in the last 5 hours.

9. shandyman thread starter Suspended

iPhone 6 Battery issue

So frustrating and I really don't get why it's changed overnight/over a weekend without any changes by me. Just some apps auto updated.

Hoping he Geniuses at the Apple Store can solve it or maybe even replace the device.

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Interesting read.

I was flat out told by an Apple Rep at the Genius bar that this is NOT good for the iPhone at all:

7. When the iPhone has booted up, hold down the sleep/wake and home buttons until you see the Apple logo.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Resetting the phone is bad for the phone?

12. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Hey, don't kill the messenger.

He said, after telling him I was a Windows guy as far as computers, and I quote, "When you hold those two buttons at the same time and reset the phone it is like unplugging a Windows PC from the wall without a proper shut down of the OS. It can also cause issues with the mother board and power. Every time someone does that an Apple Angel loses it's wings."

I swear on my mamma's life this is a direct quote from a genius bar employee.

On a side note, the reason it came up, is I told him that this is how I kill the phone when an app gets hung. He gave me a work around for that that works great for apps not working. If the app is running and unresponsive, or just not acting right, while the app is running:

1) Hold just the power button until you get the power slider.

2) Then hold the home button until the app kills off and you are returned to the home screen.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's definitely force quitting the app that's there, but sometimes that doesn't get things cleared up and sometimes things are just stuck no matter what you do. And while a pure reset isn't the greatest thing--which is why I can sort of understand the employee saying that to a customer--it's also not something horrible when it's needed. Even computers have had reset buttons and can still be turned off quickly if needed using the power button by holding it down for a little while. Something can go wrong, but it would seem that the chances of that happening are rather slim and thus essentially insignificant as far as making the reset s really bad practice.

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yup, I agree with you. I was quite taken back by his statements to be honest.

I suppose just like holding the power button on a PC, as long as you only do it once in a while in the event of an emergency, I am quite sure it is fine.

15. shandyman thread starter Suspended

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426204099.338424.jpg the standby and usage time are still weird with clean install of 8.2. Usage is massively wrong. It was sat on the desk with screen locked for 7 solid hours out of the 16 hours 23 minutes. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426204099.338424.jpg

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Why would the facility to hard reset the phone be there if it never needs to be done, and shouldn't ever be done? I thought it was akin to pulling the battery and sometimes necessary.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

For some reason it seems like some process (some sync or app or something else) appears to be stuck using the phone most of the time.

18. shandyman thread starter Suspended

It's been like that despite multiple clean installs.

19. shandyman thread starter Suspended

Also, the only app I had that had an update around the time this issue began was Facebook. I didn't install it on my clean install at the beginning of the week. Only installed it again yesterday as ruled it out.

20. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

If you had done a full restore by wiping the phone and NOT reinstalling any apps / signing in to anything, the usage times should not be that.

Why don't you call up Apple and see if they could run a battery test?

21. shandyman thread starter Suspended

The only thing I have not done is wiped the phone and not install any apps for the day. The closest was a clean install and I installed 10 apps or so, but not Facebook or google hangouts.

I'm not too far from and Apple Store and got a Genius appointment for tomorrow, so will see what occurs.

The fact it changed so quickly, is weird. I'd understand gradual degradation, but this was a 50-60% drop overnight/over a weekend

22. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

didn't read whole thread but did you "forget" or erase the network settings and let it re-configure?

23. shandyman thread starter Suspended

Forget?

I've done a clean install. Also done erase network settings too. Still the same.

24. shandyman thread starter Suspended

Apple Store did diagnostics, could see the issue, but we're not sure of what was causing it exactly. They're passing the diagnostics on and replaced my iPhone with a new one.