iPhone 6 + battery life major decline on 8.4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Love Divine, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Love Divine macrumors member

I've never made a "bad battery post update" thread before in all my years of owning a smartphone. I see these threads frequently but have never really experienced it - until now.

Since 8.4, my battery life has been noticeably worse. I noticed it immediately. There has been no change in my usage patterns, and Apple music is disabled, as is cellular data with iTunes. I'm sitting at a little over 5 hours of usage (about 10 hours standby), and my battery life just hit 30%. That's much worse than before. Eyeballing it, my battery life at this point in the day would have been 70% at worst before the update.

Any suggestions? Location data is well controlled, cell reception is good, and background app refresh is off. Again, none of those things have changed, and my screen brightness is largely the same.

2. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

If you haven't disabled Apple Music Connect under restrictions, try that.

3. Love Divine thread starter macrumors member

Restrictions are globally disabled - is that good enough? I've never enabled them.

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

No, you have to enable restrictions to disable Connect. Seems backwards, huh?

5. c55 macrumors regular

c55

Interesting. I haven't noticed any difference on 8.4 with my Plus. Did you OTA update it to 8.4? You may want to plug it into your computer and do a fresh restore.

6. c55, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

c55 macrumors regular

c55

*ignore this double post, blame bad att cell coverage*

7. Love Divine thread starter macrumors member

I did the OTA. That's my next step, although it's admittedly a pita.

8. Love Divine thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, trying that now

9. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I have an iPhone 6, I never had complains about battery life with my iPhone 6, even after I got the Apple Watch my battery life was fine, but my phone has been draining really fast ever since I upgraded to 8.4 :(

10. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I know others experiencing this very annoying problem. What's odd is it's random. Mine is fine, no problem. My cousins is suffering with only half the run time he had before the battery sucking 8.4.

11. Love Divine thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, this sucks. Literally noticed it the first time I used my phone after 8.4 was installed. Noticed the battery dropping much faster than usual. Thought it might be my imagination or that the OS needed to settle. Ugh.

What sucks is I'm not really using Apple music at all. Was very happy with 8.3. I could have taken my phone off the charger at 630am and been in the evening of the next day by the time I hit 30%. Hopefully 8.4.1 fixes this.

12. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

reset your settings and network settings; you may have to restore your phone as new through iTunes...
    go to music and turn off Show Apple Music...
    and like what a previous poster stated, enable restrictions and turn off Apple Music Connect...

13. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

yea my iphone 6 has taken a hit too since 8.4. battery drops quicker when my usage hasnt changed at all.

14. Love Divine thread starter macrumors member

show apple music has been off since the beginning

It doesn't seem to be standby that's taken the hit, just actual usage

Disabling Apple music connect through restrictions seems to have helped a little actually. Weird.

15. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I was the same with my 6. It drained ridiculously quick with everything turned off as above. Luckily 8.4 completely screwed up my phone and I complained to Apple and they replaced my phone. This one still has 8.3 which is where I'm staying now. I guess I'll have to put up with the "1" on settings
    [​IMG]