iPhone 6 Battery life question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewtm, Nov 19, 2014.

1. andrewtm macrumors regular

When I first got my iPhone 6, I was getting 7, 8, even 9 hours of battery life at some points. I'm not sure what caused it but I've only been getting 4-5 now. Is this an issue I can take into Apple?

I know batteries deteriorate over time but I haven't even had this thing for a month!

Here's a screenshot of my battery life:
    [​IMG]

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You got some battery killer socialmedia going on. Depending on how often they update . . . . .

3. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

I have background updates turned off

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do a search but there is an app that does battery specs for you, I think it is ibackupbot at the app store. It will give you the current capacity of your battery.

I use a iPhone 6 and it gets very good battery life but the 6+ should be even better!

5. kepler20b macrumors 6502

turn down your brightness

and stop turning your phone on/off every 12 seconds. Look at your homescreen/lock taking up 12%

6. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

You can check the battery usage and maybe see what's taking up the battery.

7. Dotten macrumors newbie

You use it too much.

Make sure your apps is shutted down when your´e not using them.

And also the brightness of the screen.
    And your internet also use a lot of power.

And maybe you´re just happy with your new phone and need to use it all the time... I did that in the start. I was wondering about the same as you :) otherwise contact the shop were you bought the phone.

8. joeblow7777, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If you're not using battery draining apps or have things running in the background, the display (ie. Homescreen) should be what uses the most energy. Powering the display is the main energy drainer in most mobile devices. If something is using considerably more power than your screen, that's the first place to look when diagnosing poor battery life.

On my 5s, I could usually get 9-10 hours of use plus as much as 2 days standby, with the homescreen accounting for over 15% of the battery usage. I've had my 6 for less than a week so I'm still assessing what my typical battery life looks like, but it seems similar so far.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

Apps don't need to be closed all the time. The system manages them on its own and apps are frozen when you leave them.

10. kepler20b macrumors 6502

this is wrong, and another example of why "usage" or whatever apple wants to call it, is simply a horrible measurement of actual usage.

homescreen is exactly that. Usage spent powering your lock and homescreen.

When you use chrome, safari, messages, games, etc. your battery "usage" is determined by that app, which includes the power needed from the backlight.

so if you're constantly just turning the phone on/off without doing anything inside of an app, that contributes to your homescreen/lockscreen "usage"

when you browse chrome for 1 hour, the "usage" contributes all the battery it used to chrome, including the backlight needed to power your display.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I see. I suppose that makes sense. I guess I was thinking of what Android calls "screen" under the battery stats.