iPhone 6, battery problem, Apple doesn't care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dentifrice, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

Hi !

I have an iPhone 6 (1 year and a half old). When the battery is under 30 %, the percentage will drop in a couple of minutes to less then 10 % and the phone shutdown.

I connect it to a power source, the phone restart and the battery percentage is 30 % again !

(Note : 30 % is an example, it can do this between 20 and 40 %).

So I went to a "genius" bar to check that and he ran a diagnostic. The result of my battery "health" check is 84%.

Problem is, Apple doesn't change battery when it's higher than 80 %. I tried everything, restore backup, new profile, etc. Nothing change. It's an hardware problem.

The guy in front was feeling cheap because he knew it was stupid and it's not normal but it's impossible for them to do anything under Apple "law".

BTW I was willing to pay this battery !!!

The only thing he could do was declaring the phone as broken and propose me to buy another iphone 6 for $389 CND !!!! Now way I'm paying $400+ for another iphone 6 !

This is just stupid. I'll change it in a 3rd party shop and lose the warranty but as least I will have a working phone...

I don't know what to do right now. I can't even sell it at good price and buy an iphone 6s/7 because of this problem...

2. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Both my 6+ and my wife's 6s are having the same issue. They basically told us the same thing. We just did a full restore and update to 10. Told us to come back if it keeps happening. She's under warranty for 8 more days, so we'll see what happens.

3. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

4. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

My 5S had it too. I ended up selling it and getting Xperia Z3 Compact.

5. j62lee macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with my 6. My battery was above 50%, and they refused to change it even though I explicitly told them I wanted a new battery and I was going to pay for it. It was already out of warranty anyway...

6. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Did Apple give a reason for refusing to take your money to do a repair?

7. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

As I understand, Apple refuse if the diagnostic they do says the battery is still good. There is no way bypassing that.

8. kjotwani macrumors regular

Actually there is. Had the same issue and the battery check apps were saying battery is worn out. I raised my concern, called the store manager, explained the issue. Told him I wil sit with u entire day and u see the issue. And in the end he gave me a new phone for nothing( had apple care ).

9. mandurz macrumors member

I have same problem for months now and I only got worse. Apple said my battery was in the middle of the scale when they showed me the diagnostic on the iPad. But my phone was out of warranty anyways so I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it either. So when Verizon announced the $650 trade in program I jumped on it. Now I really notice how bad the battery is. I played with my 7+ all night and my battery is only st 52%!

10. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes same thing for me but I didn't have apple care....so changing the phone was possible...but I was paying for it.

11. ray737 macrumors 6502

I had this same exact issue with my iPhone 6 Plus. Went to the genius guys and they ran the diagnostics and battery showed it was still good. Was told I need to "recalibrate" my battery. Seems to be a bit better.

12. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Ha, a few minutes after my post, my phone died at 52%. I think that's a new record for me.

13. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I called a local shop and they offered me the "original" apple battery (1810 mAh) or an "advanced" 2800 mAh.

Which one would you chose ? Same price

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would only opt for a genuine Apple battery.

Are you certain that Apple won't replace the battery under their standard $79 battery service program? The 80% threshold should only apply to AppleCare requests. I would call and speak to someone on the phone before having it replaced locally.

15. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good idea. I'll care Apple directly right now

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

If the phone is a year and a half old then you don't have any warranty left. Unless you have Apple Care plus. So you have nothing to loose by taking it to a third party repairer.

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Sure you do. You will likely pay a similar price for a non-genuine battery.

18. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple price is $100 CND to change the battery (but they don't want to change it even if I pay)

My local shop price is $40...

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There is no way you are getting a quality battery for $40. 3rd party batteries regularly have significantly worse battery life, and significantly reduced lifespan.

20. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Will a new battery fix it? Seems to me to be a communication issue between the battery and the phone.

21. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

zhenya : I would like to have an official apple battery but I jutst can't ! Apple doesn't want to ! and I'm not alone, just read the thread...

Taco1933 : maybe but at the same time, so many people have the same problem...