iPhone 6 Battery started great...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAnimal, Feb 20, 2015.

1. TheAnimal macrumors member

I've had the iPhone 6 for a few months now. When I first got it, for the first few days, the battery was like a champ. Went down very slowly. Lately, however, it's acting like my old iPhone 5. I'm practically tethered to a charger. Anyone else experience this?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Got my 6+ late December, honestly couldn't be happier. I haven't seen much degradation of battery. This is highly dependent on actual use though. Does your usage change much?

3. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

No, my usage is pretty consistent. I will say that I use my phone in a lot of low service areas (ferry, subway and high rise building where I work). So I would expect that would take a toll on the battery. But even on the weekends where I have pretty much perfect service wherever I go, the battery drains quickly.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Cell tower searching does use a significant amount of battery. Have you tried flicking between 3G and 4G/LTE? Disable LTE and see what happens, etc?

5. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

I haven't mainly because I hate using solutions to extend the battery life of my iPhone at the expense of useful features (ie high speed connection). But you're right. I should do it to at least eliminate it as a problem. Right now I'm disabling background app refresh and location services for Facebook only as I suspect that's a big culprit.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I agree you should never have to actively change your style. But in this circumstance where you are unhappy it's best to try and zero down to the problem. Best of luck..

7. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Yep, background app refresh and location services are big battery killers.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My 6+ battery was exceptional when I first got it, but since installing 8.1.2 and then 8.1.3 (I actually reverted back to 8.1.2 because it was better), my battery life just isn't the same. I used to get 11-12 hours of usage and now I get 10 tops.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Odd. I can get a full day, if not more. That is even with spending 3-4 hours tethering to my notebook...

10. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

I also just disabled location services for Google Now. I take public transportation to and from work, so Google telling me there's heavy traffic on the highway doesn't really help me much anyway. :rolleyes:

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Heh - yup fair point. Worth a shot anything right.. :D

12. crashoverride77, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Did you just update to 8.1.3?
    I have had battery issues with 8.1.1/8.1.2 and at first I thought 8.1.3 didn't change much but after 1-2 weeks it seems almost back to normal. I'm not sure if there is even any truth to this but there is the saying that it takes ios 1-2 weeks to settle after an update and that seems to be the case for me with 8.1.3.
    Even my iPad Air 2 was pretty bad since 8.1.2 (8h average) but after running 8.1.3 for about a week I was basically back to 9-10 hours.
    Otherwise just do a restore and set it up as new as I'm sure people have mentioned above, that usually fixes battery issues.

13. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Nah, my problems pre-date 8.1.3.

14. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Fair enough. Restore I guess and set up as new, if that doesn't fix it try the restore through itunes to reinstall the whole os from scratch. I also read that iCloud Keychain causes issues and a solution is to turn it off and see what happens and than turn it back on. Otherwise Apple store I suppose.

15. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, trying to avoid the nuclear option. I'm pretty much at my desk the entire day, so it's not even that much of a bother to have it hooked up. It's just annoying me that at one point it was demonstrating outstanding battery life and now it's not. Maybe next upgrade I'll get the iPhone Plus.

16. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Any particular app that shows high usage?
    Try closing all apps and than do a soft reset (hold home-button+off switch), don't worry it won't delete anything.

Other options without doing a full reset
    1) reset your Network settings
    2) re-calibrate battery 1-2 times (100% till phone turns off)
    3) turn keychain off if you use it (I read it could cause issues with ios 8)
    4) reset all settings (NOT the option with erase content). This will keep your data (apps, music, pictures etc) and will only reset your settings (wifi, wallpapers, sounds, notifcations etc) so it's not to much of a hassle.

17. Coupz macrumors regular

My battery is dropping like a stone when I'm under 50%. 10min of Safari have cost me almost 8-9%, while when I'm over 50% it would be like 0-1%.

And most features are turned off and I installed 8.1.3 with DFU restore. I think I'll call apple and let them run diagnostic.

18. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

It's a little early to tell yet, but I disabled location services for Google Now around 3 hours ago and I have seen a SUBSTANTIAL improvement in battery life so far. It's interesting because Google insists that the location services don't drain the battery in any significant way, but in this case that doesn't seem to be true.

19. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I used to have this problem on my iPhone 6, wasn't that drastic but it would keep accellerating past 80%. I could get 2 and a half hours out of the first 100-80%, but 80% to 70% would have gone by once I reached the 3 hour mark. 60% would go by once I reach 3.5 hours. So yeah. Not sure how I fixed it, I changed a bunch of things all at once. Like lowering brightness to about 0-15%, turning off cellular data when I don't need it, turning off wifi when I'm away from wifi connectivity, turning off Bluetooth when I don't need it, etc. gave me easily an extra 2-3 hours of charge, 8-9 hours with a day and a half of standby.

20. Coupz macrumors regular

I've done the diagnostics and talked today with Apple. They told me everything is alright and I've done a dfu restore without a backup and have installed only 3 apps. We'll see how it goes.

21. /macuser macrumors member

I have

Take it back. I used to get 10, not like 6-7.

Took it back. New one is like old 10 hours average use.