iPhone 6 Bending Fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bwrin, Oct 30, 2014.

1. bwrin, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Interesting. A teardown of a newly shipped device would clear this up pretty quickly. But if there is a true difference, Apple would be in for a world of pain with initial adopters, so I would be surprised if they did it silently.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

LOL! I'm so glad I wasn't an early adopter. Here's to waiting until Thanksgiving for the official unlocked.

4. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

ok...so just some other blog about bending. Of couse there is no proof, just someone's word on testing.

I think using this is being premature in declaring that this is proof of Apple secretly strenghtening the iPhone6

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

6. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

No one is declaring it proof, it is presented in every form as pure speculation. In the reddit thread they are alerting iFixIt to hopefully look into it more.

7. bwrin thread starter macrumors newbie

I just think its plausible. I saw someone had posted about the possibility of them pushing out a silent fix, so maybe it really happened. I just kinda hope iFixit does another tear down.

8. Bahroo, Oct 30, 2014

Bahroo macrumors 68000

But this doesnt make sense though, Apple cant really do something like this, because the outlash would be beyond out of control if this was true, alot of people would demand a free replacement, and that would be a total nightmare

9. bwrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed. Maybe if there isn't a silent fix, this is just confirming that there were a bad batch that may have missed an essential structural part.

10. VFC, Oct 30, 2014

VFC macrumors 6502a

That would imply that 99% of the 6+ in use have the red-colored object placed in the volume down button opening. That should be easy enough to verify.

11. golftime, Oct 30, 2014

golftime macrumors newbie

Everyone keeps saying Apple couldn't change the structural design of the phone or it would be a disaster, but I am not completely sure that's correct. Once a company becomes aware of a problem with a product, it is foolish to continue to manufacture the same defect into future products. Companies make slight improvements to products all the time, usually tracking the change internally by serial number or date of manufacture, without changing the advertised model number.

In this case, it might even be easier given the fact the change would not be obvious with the basic performance of the phone. The dilemma it creates for Apple is then whether to offer some sort of lenient warranty for anyone who brings in a bent phone, something they could address internally. Realistically, even if there is a design flaw, chances are only a small percentage of people will have a problem and most of the phones will never come back.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

There is very little room inside the 6 to beef up it's structural integrity so I do not see how this can be true.

There will be no fix till the iPhone 7:rolleyes:

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That would require Apple to attribute the bent iPhones to a design or manufacturing problem.

14. golftime macrumors newbie

It would, at least to some extent. And I agree that presents a definite hurdle for them. They could take the position the original design was tested extensively, and for the vast majority of users will never present a problem, but due to a small number of reported problems they made a slight modification to the design.

15. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Corporations get into a lot of trouble trying to hide things. There are enough smart people around to figure things out. Apple's best course of action is to come clean and identify what they did or did not do.

16. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Fine. So Apple states "Due to a small number of cases, we have decided to reinforce the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus bodies in order to address this issue"
    And the internet explodes with righteous and furious anger that Apple knew it was an issue all along. Watch the class action lawsuits fly.
    Apple can't win in this instance, regardless of whether they state it was fixed or not.

17. VFC macrumors 6502a

We can't predict what Apple is going to do based on how they handled things in the past. We will have to see how Tim Cook handles situations like this going forward. I can't imagine Tim telling us that carrying a 6/6+ in our front pocket will void the warranty or saying that everyone of the 30+ million owners can ask for a free replacement. If this story is true, he has a tough situation to deal with.

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I doubt this is true, with all the tear down people out there, any sign of a redesign would see apple in deep PR doodoo

19. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

It would honestly make sense if this is true.

Stock is being updated/delivered so slow. Im sure Apple can meet demands, but it's weird that they still haven't.

We need more research to be done on this.

20. canadianpj macrumors 6502

This is not proof of anything. Just one of a hundred blog posts regarding the bending problem this one with "reliable information" on a fix that cannot be proven yet or likely ever.

Still enjoying my non bent iPhone 6 Plus which I'm making no attempts to be any more careful with any any other iPhone.

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

exactly until a tear down reveals a difference this is a pointless source of info

"I tapped on it and it sounded different"

22. canadianpj macrumors 6502

Or people could just move on and not keep being either extremely negligent or bending them on purpose.

23. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

The people that have experienced bending said it wasn't on purpose or negligent, nice job just flat out calling loads of people out as liars.

As for apple reinforcing the phone, in a way id like to see it happen but I doubt that it will. That would be them actually admitting a gigantic design flaw, but then again, they did give out cases for the antenna issue and anything is possible.

Looking forward to some teardowns.

Edit for double post oops.

24. cababah macrumors 68000

iFixit should be contacted and requested to do another teardown of the most recently manufactured 6 & 6+ models.

25. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If he's not lying about the weight increase, that could be something signficant