iPhone 6: best way to port # from AT&T to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaveTheRave, Sep 10, 2014.

1. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

I have a 4S on AT&T (my account), and no longer bound by any contracts. I want to buy the iPhone 6 and at the same time move my number over to Verizon (and go on my wife's account) so that maybe we save a few $ on a family plan. And if possible, I'd like to sell my 4S to get some kind of credit or cash.

Any suggestions? Should this be done in-person, or try my luck online at the Apple or Verizon websites? Or order online and pick-up in store? Thanks.

2. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I did this with the iPhone 5, and the process couldn't have been easier. I simply ordered on Apple's website, and when I bought it, I indicated that I was porting a phone # from another carrier. When the phone arrived, I simply turned it on, activated it, and presto ... I now had my number ported to Verizon. I didn't need to do anything else except close out my account with AT&T.

However, if you are uncomfortable with this, the Apple store reps can definitely walk you through the process. If you order a phone for in-store pick up, or just wait in line for a phone, they will activate it for you and make sure you walk out with your number properly ported to Verizon.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

This would work if he just wanted to establish a new account with Verizon. It's a little more complicated to add the line to his wife's existing account. Probably won't be able to do that as part of the preorder process.

4. ronm99 macrumors 6502

Yes ... I missed that part of the original post.

Double check with Verizon first, but I am 99% sure that you can still pre-order the phone as a new Verizon contract, and when you activate the phone, call up Verizon to merge the accounts.

When buying the iPhone 5, I did something similar. My wife and I were both getting phones, and we pre-ordered separate phones and then created a family plan account when we activated.

5. DaveTheRave thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. I think I'll just play it safe and buy my iphone in-person at the store after the mad rush dies down. Thanks.