iPhone 6 - Blacked out but still recognized by iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SlimeSeason2, Mar 21, 2016.

1. SlimeSeason2 macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance to anyone for trying to help me with this issue.

So my phone shut-off and went black completely today while I was on the phone. I had plenty of battery (~80%). The phone would not turn back on. I tried a hard reset as well which also did not work. Same for when I plugged it into a wall charger, nada.

The only hope was when I plugged it into my computer, iTunes did recognize that my phone was plugged in so it can't be completely dead. It said this phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. I followed the steps and upon completion I get an error message saying the iPhone cannot be restored (4014).

I read about this issue and tried all the troubleshoots but nothing seemed to work. Also I noticed this happened to most people whose phone was fine and then tried to update which cause and error but in my case my phone was completely blacked out before I even attempted the restore/update.

Any help would be greatly appreciate as there isn't an Apple store near me and I would prefer not to bring it to the repair shop because of the $$.

2. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

How about going to recovery mode and then connecting your iPhone to iTunes while in recovery mode? After that, just restore your phone as new (apologies if it doesn't work).

To enter recovery mode, press home and power buttons simultaneously like you'd do for a hard reset. After 10 seconds or so, release the power button and keep holding the home button.