iPhone 6 Broken Glass When Dropped 2 Inches...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dapetrun, Sep 26, 2014.

1. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

Wow, I've had my new iPhone for less than a week. I bought a cheap thin silicone transparent cover because the LifeProof case I want is not available yet. Well today I picked up the phone which was laying face up on a ceramic tile counter top. The phone flipped around inside my fingers and fell about 2 inches back to the ceramic counter top and cracked the screen across the top ½ inch from left to right. I could not believe how brittle the glass appeared to be! I mean 2 inches onto the glass front and it breaks?? Come on!!

This tells me that the new iPhone 6 design is flawed, drastically flawed!!! If they designed the thing to be so thin that the glass bezel sticks out farther than the sides then it is doomed to break sooner rather than later. Especially if your running it naked or with a cheap case. They're attempt to shave off every possible millimeter of thickness only made the unit cheaper and costlier to own. The local Apple store quoted me $299 out of pocket to replace the screen and they don't even have any screens available to replace it yet. So, they will have to replace the entire 128 GB T-Mobile Gold iPhone! The 5S has the glass screen below the edge of the sides so it is well protected should it drop face down. BUT NOT THE 6!!!!

BUYER BEWARE!! I will have to see how Apple handles this tragedy face-to-face before I complain any louder. But having a good quality protective case for the new 6 and 6+ is an absolute necessity to the longevity of this phone. What a shame they made it so fragile! And foolish!

2. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

AppleCare + is a good investment anytime but maybe even more so for iPhone 6.

3. dotme macrumors 6502a

4. Sacha2304 macrumors newbie

Although screen replacement is only $109 for the 6, they don't have any replacement screen available yet. That's probably why they are trying to charge you 299 for a new device. Tell them that you want the difference refunded since they wont/cant replace screens

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Interesting how the 6 screen replacement is cheaper than the 5S.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

"Tragedy" might be overstating the situation. :rolleyes:

7. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The OP suggested this on the 24th to another member inquiring weather it is wise to purchase AppleCare or not:

"I didn't get the AppleCare for my 6 nor my wife's because we are a little more careful with our "stuff" than our teenage daughter."

Hindsight is always 20/20!

8. tonebarone macrumors newbie

My 6 survived a shoulder height half way across the room drop/throw with zero damage. Seems pretty sturdy

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Careful or not, accidents can happen;)

10. R.Perez, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

These things happen. I have an HTC One (m7), waiting on my new iphone 6+. Anyway, the m7 is incredibly slippery IMO and I've dropped it a lot. It has a plastic case on it. Long story short, it has flown out of my hands and across the room onto concrete, tile, hard vinyl etc. and never never got a single scratch on it. Then one day I was sitting on the ground working on my car and the phone slipped out of my pants pocket and fell about 3 inches and hit the asphalt, cracking the screen horizontally and vertically. Luckily for me it still works and I've been using for about 2 months now like this waiting for an upgrade.

11. ArkieBiker macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

You DROPPED it on a ceramic tile surface and the screen cracked? What did you EXPECT to happen? And now you're saying the iPhone "GLASS" is flawed?

Just how many "inches" above a ceramic counter top should you be able to drop an iPhone down (face down) before you say the phone is not flawed?

12. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I don't know, this is about the one instance where I WOULD expect the screen to break... Ceramic is not the best surface for glass to come into contact with without breakage.

I'm sorry this happened to you though, OP. Show them the promised price difference, it's not your fault they don't have screens yet, they should charge you the price they're going to be charging everyone else.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's always the phones fault or apples fault.
    Not the users.
    Glass shouldn't break and many other excuses.

14. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

Couldn't agree more. I dropped my iPhone 5c more times than I can count and never any damage than one day it takes a minimal slip and shatters. That's why I chose a case for my iPhone 6 this go around.

15. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

UPDATE: The iPhone was replaced...

UPDATE: I took the iPhone to my local Apple Store and they looked at my serial number before commenting. It turns out that my phone had the Apple Care and my daughter's does not, but there isn't anyway of telling you this when you open the box. I just opened the wrong one when I set mine up. They have no parts for the 6 so they had to replace my 128 GB with a new identical one for $79 + tax.

But they quoted me the wrong price over the phone. It is $79 for glass replacement on a 6 with Apple Care or $109 withOUT. So, I spent $100 for Apple Care to save myself $30. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Of course, I know there could have been much more damage than just the glass.

And for those that disagreed with me, your damn right I don't expect the glass to break when you drop it 2". It's Gorilla Glass that is advertised as hardened and nearly indestructible (or so they would have you think). I have knocked over a cheap wine glass on that same ceramic table top and didn't break the normal everyday cheap glass, but the Gorilla Glass broke. Doesn't seem very sturdy to me.

And yes, I still believe the Apple design is flawed (not so much the glass) because they made the glass stick out further than the sides protecting it, which is just foolish in making this model more susceptible to breakage than any previous design before it! All to save a few millimeter's in thickness and to give the illusion the phone is much thinner than all others. I'd rather have a thicker iPhone with protected sides around the glass and a larger battery than a thinner iPhone prone to breakage at the slightest drop. Yes, I watched the YouTube videos "drop tests" and I know it only takes a drop in the right sweet spot for some things to break when others before it didn't. Just wish mine didn't.

The Apple Genius said they "had a few 6's with broken glass screens come in this week". He refused to say the actual number but I'm guessing it was more than just a few!

One more thing, Apple said they might be able to switch my Apple Care over to my daughter's phone but they would have to prorate the 1 week I had already used on it. :eek: Amazing. I elected to keep the Apple Care on mine and will be getting Apple Care for my daughter's and wives iPhone 6 too. YMMV. Good luck to everyone else.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try that approach next time you go the apple store. The glass should not break and the design is flawed and see how far you get.
    By the way no one really knows how far the iphone really fell from if its 1 or 2 inches that you claim or waist height or higher etc... Anyone can claim it only fell from 1 inch and broke.
    Not that it makes any difference. Apple never claimed the phone is not supposed to break from 2 inches but will break for 16 inches height and it should not break on tile but will break on cement or other similar claims.
    Keep on blaming the phone though and not yourself for the accident;)
    That's why people get good protective cases for their devices.

17. NedFlanders macrumors member

NedFlanders

A coworker cracked his screen before he got home from picking it up. Apparently he slid his new and old phone together into his pocket and the smaller iPhone 4 pressing up against the 6 was enough to cause the crack. Not that I am surprised, but I will be putting my 6+ into a case when I get it.

18. kerrikins macrumors 65816

AppleCare will cover you if there's any future damage as well, think of it as future proofing.

And there's no 'design flaw', it's all in how the phone hits the surface. If a 5 hit the surface at the right angle it would shatter just as easily as the 6.

19. suttong macrumors newbie

I agree with OP, there is a balance cell phone makers have to strike between durability and innovation. A cellphone contracted over two years, used every day in and out of a pocket numerous times a day, will have a high probability of falling. There is also a high probability one of these falls will occur on a hard surface, which again depending on how it hits possibly will break the glass.

An answer to this problem is to pay more money for a protection plan and/or buy an additional protection accessory case. Both of these solution are because you do not trust the design or durability of the primary device.

Don't get me wrong, I love apple and have several of their devices (6+, 6, ipad mine, air, pro, pod.. ect..) but the above contradiction in cell phone designs give me pause. (not unique to apple)