iPhone 6 - Build Quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chatchj, Sep 20, 2014.

1. chatchj macrumors newbie

Yes I did a search first...

Has anyone noticed that there is a very slight raised edge around the home button? If you rub your finger across it you can feel a "sharp" edge feel to it. It seems even all the way around the button so I assume this is normal.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My iPhone 5 has this. The button is ever so slightly recessed.

3. tl01 macrumors 65816

I think the build quality is brilliant. Just gorgeous.

4. chatchj thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree the build quality is superb, was just asking about the ring around the home button being slightly raised.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think you need to relax and enjoy your phone.

6. chatchj thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for the helpful post Newton. I am perfectly relaxed lol. Maybe you should try being helpful instead of cluttering threads.

7. Cash4Jesus macrumors newbie

You know you're the one who titled this build quality.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well I have the 6 Plus and I don't have this issue as the Gold ring around the home botton is flushed with the glass.

9. entraik macrumors 6502a

i have this sharpness as well. don't think it's a defect though

10. chabig macrumors 68040

No, but I can give you my address via private message and if you send the phone to me I will perform a through inspection. ;)

11. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

Yes I feel it, I'm bleeding profusely. Heading to minor emergency now to have it cauterized.

12. chatchj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks entraik! Not concerned just checking. Appreciate your feedback

13. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Now I'm no Apple Engineer but I don't think there would likely be a raised edge around the home button. The screen has a hole cut in it where the home button hardware sits on the circuit board, so perhaps your home button is raised too high!

14. bakron1 macrumors member

Apple has the best build quality in the business and customer service that is the Rolex of the smartphone Industry, period

15. sunking101, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Cough *splutter*. I'll agree with the customer service bit, but not the build quality. People seem to mistake choice of materials as being good or bad build quality. ie plastic phones 'bad build quality' and metal phones 'good build quality'. Not true. My Samsung tablet has a polycarbonate body, a glass front, and metal buttons. Fit and finish is superb and the buttons feel tactile & premium. There are zero build quality issues.
    My iPhone 5, however, is a different story. It's made of glass and metal so therefore has the best build quality in the business, right?
    Wrong. The volume buttons are loose. They rattle about and what's more, they're stiff and feel cheap when I press them. The sleep/wake button is also loose and it also rattles about. Not to mention that my screen has a slight yellow tint to it and the fact this is my 6th iPhone 5. I had to return the first five due to issues straight out of the box. Scuffs, dodgy buttons and one had a cellular fault. The Samsung tablet? Well the first one I received was perfect. No issues whatsoever.

Edited to add:

In fact I would go so far as to say that Apple iPhones have rather poor build quality. Good materials yes, but the fact they're mass-produced on the cheap and seemingly undergo zero quality control seriously diminishes any claims of 'good build quality'. It's a total lottery whether you get a good iPhone or not.

16. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

Have to admit I feel the 6 has a "cheaper" feel and look to it than prior phones. I think my 5c felt better and looked better quality wise.
    Either way I am happy as of now with my 6 128.
    Just wish it had 2 speakers

17. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Really? I'm using mine without the leather case for the first time and LOVE it, but it doesnt have grip so I'll have to put the case back on. I think the build quality is superb.

I held a 5C and it does feel really good in the hand.

18. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Raised edge? No. Not on mine. I can feel the edge of the button where it's depressed into the front screen but it's not raised at all.

----------

Totally disagree. The fit and finish on the 6 seems better than any previous iPhone or iPod to me.