iPhone 6 camera performing better than 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SteveJobs2.0, Sep 26, 2014.

1. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

I have been using the newly updated camera+ and nightcap apps which let you take long Shutter pics. However, I am finding that iPhone 6 tends to produce better results in non-stock photo apps when it comes to long-shutter pics. Anybody else find this?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's likely a byproduct of the optical image stabilizer (which the 6+ has and the 6 lacks.)

When using an SLR camera you absolutely must turn off the lens stabilizer before doing long exposures. I'm guessing these apps are not given the ability to do that on the 6+ and thus long exposures are probably not going to work on it.

3. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm wouldn't a stabilizer helps in this situation? I do agree about the apps not communicating properly with the phone.

4. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Spot on! you stabilise externally like with a tripod for such shots and don't rely on lens of body stabilisation...

5. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm I thought that for hand held lomg exposure modes IOS would help. If it doesn't, that m and that 6 camera can match the 6+ using the right app. Shooting a moving object in the dark at higher shutter speed would give a slight advantage to the 6+ though.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It helps when the exposure is somewhat quick. But once you start getting slower it starts to introduce more problems than it solves.

Basically it can be perfect for brief snippets of time, but once you start telling it to be perfect again and again and again all in one shot it can't do it. It gives you several moments of "perfect" with shake in between all of those perfect moments.

7. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks. I guess what is needed then is one of those apps that take multiple pictures then combine them into one picture with less noise. Each of those short exposure pics would benefit from the IOS then. I will post a pic I took outside in the dark with the iPhone 6 using 1/2 sec exposure and 400 ISO.