iPhone 6 camera rants

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phonefanman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Phonefanman Suspended

The camera in this phone never impressed me much. I like the fact the software is good and the ease of use and that it's Apple.

Rants...

Well first I'd like to say the camera picture quality is nothing special, takes pretty good pictures in the right lighting (but a cheap Android does the same). Video quality is nothing special and has a hard time with background detail in reading letters.

When I send a video through text messenger to my android friends the video quality looks like straight S*IT on there screen. My iPhone friends get the video in text message the way it suppose to be. Why is this?

I plug iPhone into laptop put video I made on my iPhone to my laptop then upload to YouTube and only getting 720p? One thing I will say about Android cameras they are great with no quality issues of transfer of video.

On iPhone why do I need to be on Wi-Fi to get HD quality uploaded to YouTube? Why then am I only getting 720p quality on the video?
    On Android I can get 1080p videos uploaded without Wi-Fi needed.

I'm sticking with iPhone, but they really need to improve the camera and openness of the camera to do what it does best. If the phone is 1080P then I expect my YouTube videos to be 1080P , I expect videos sent in text to look the way they suppose to look regardless if I'm sending it to an iPhone or Android.

I believe even a 2 year old phone should have a higher mp rate than 8mp. I'm not sure what Apple was thinking? They must like losing sells to Samsung at certain times or something. Forced to beef up cameras when almost any Android phone has been beefed up for some time.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

When you send a photo to an android phone it gets send as a text which has limits set by your carrier. If it's sent to an iOS device it's sent as an iMessage which does not have those limitations.

3. Phonefanman thread starter Suspended

Damn carrier... T-Mobile

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've never seen a good video sent via mms on any is carrier. Most recently I've had att and tmobile but it was the same in Verizon. Is completely grainy and borderline unusable.

As far as YouTube, I can only imagine this is s YouTube app limitation and not the phone. YouTube was the default years ago but it doesn't even come as a pre installed option anymore.

5. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

EVERY carrier does that. sending any picture or video through text will destroy the quality. try emailing them or maybe even facebook messenger for when you want the recipient to see full quality. iMessage is lightyears ahead of Androids messaging solutions. they need to get it together.

6. Phonefanman thread starter Suspended

I guess I just expect to much. I'd think in the future these limitations will be lifted as we are the technology age. Seems like phones are surpassing in advancements further than the actual networks they are on. iPhone to iPhone things are great!!!

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sms and mms are free in most plans. iMessage (and other messaging apps) eat your metered data. daya is the way these carriers make their money now. Used to be voice and text.

8. Phonefanman thread starter Suspended

This is true. I remember a time when text messaging was new and not many knew about it. I had it in 2003 or 2004 can't remember exactly when. $5 more a month added to my plan and unlimted until it caught on... Then things changed. Same with data paid one rate got unlimted data and then it all changed.

You are correct text and call isn't anything it's all unlimted and standard now. Data is where Verizon and AT&T and I believe Sprint try to mange it, change data plans every other month(not literally) but bouncing off the walls with it too often. And fear the word "unlimted"

All in all I do like T-Mobile and nothing wrong with unlimted data and actually using its network to make it's customers happy...

9. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

So it turns out all of your issues are down to the service providers and not apple as such.

10. Phonefanman thread starter Suspended

The camera itself could be better, but everything else I like about the phone still won't persuade me into getting Android junk.

11. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

I'm putting it down to your skills. So far only the Samsung galaxy S7 takes better picture than the iPhone 6. Oh and the latest nexus 6P under certain lighting conditions .

12. Phonefanman, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

Phonefanman thread starter Suspended

The galaxy S6 might give the iPhone 6 a run for its money in the camera department. My buddy has one and I think his actual pictures might be better. At least from what I've seen. Samsung would be the last phone I'd buy, but the cameras are top notch. You gotta give em that.

I think Apple could of raised the bar with a higher megapixel camera on the iPhone 6. They were trying to cut cost like they do and for it being 8MP they did an excellent job. They held out on the bigger megapixel camera I believe so the 6S would feel like more of an upgrade.

Samsung was putting 8MP cameras in its phones in 2010. I think Apple should be ashamed of themselves.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

More megapixels ≠ better quality photographs. I can't stress this enough.

People go on about Apple's misleading marketing, but Samsung are just as bad by pushing the megapixel myth.

14. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

Couldn't agree more. I have plenty of pictures to show that the iPhone camera is brilliant. People just don't have any idea of the camera technology and how it's supposed to work. Here is an example of a picture taken with the iPhone 6. [​IMG]

15. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Fab photo!!!

16. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

Cheers. That's without any filter By the way,

17. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

MP is part of better quality photograph, it basically means more pixels in your pictures.

18. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

Unless the image is being printed on a huge canvas, megapixels aren't really that much of use. Yes it does make a little bit of difference in the quality but given the size of the sensors within the phones, if not implemented correctly (by cramming more megapixels within small sensors) it will reduce the picture quality due to the diaphragm being opened less resulting in less light coming on to the lens.

So saying more megapixels = better picture is completely wrong. There needs to be a balance between the megapixels and the size of the sensor. Also aperture.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'd take 8mp with a sensor twice over 12/16mp at the original size any day!

20. BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

@BeforeTheMeds I am sure that is accurate. I try and say "in the US" when speaking of carriers because it is all I have experienced. I am sure that pricing structures (though not necessarily prices) are similar globally; we are moving on to paying for data because that is what people consumer these day.

22. BeforeTheMeds, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

The point is that in countries like mine a very small percentage have plans, everyone has pay as you go. Most plans not unlimited on anything anyway, just the top. Here close to 90% have pay as you go, so don't confuse the us with globally. Outside the us whatsapp is huge because of this. People pay 2-3 dollaes a month for unlimited messaging through whatsapp instead ofover 100.00 us for unlimited messages.

I have virgin mobile gsm, about 3.00 us a month gives me enough minutes for a month (figured by the second, incoming calls do not count) and free unlimited whatsapp for a month. Nobody uses text messages.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I get it. WHat I am saying about US plans is that the messages and minutes may be unlimited, ut that is not really what you are paying for. What you pay for is the data. As soon as carriers started metering data here they started giving away minutes and messages because people went from caring about minutes and messages to caring about data.

There are discussions enough for years worth of reading as to why most countries have much cheaper single line data plans than the US generally does. I'd say a lot of it has to do with the infrastructure involved (see the price of data in Canada compared to the US for a good example of this), but I am sure there are some other factors too. My Hungarian relatives all have landlines still; conversely I cannot think of a single person close to me that still has a ladnline. My son might not even know what that is lol.

ANyway, the reason I evenbrought this up wasbecause the OP seemed to think it was TMO's service that was rendering his MMS video to be grainy and of much lower quality than sending it by other means. I simply tried to explain why that is the case with MMS, and (probably) all US (and maybe overseas) carrriers.

24. BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

Ah, gotcha.

25. Phonefanman thread starter Suspended

The 6S lens was a needed upgrade I believe. 8MP just doesn't go as far as it use to.