Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
So is the noise reduction a ios 8 (software) change or hardware? My iPhone 6 pics come out with the Monet effect that people have mentioned. Thought 8.1 would improve your this, but didn't.

Thanks

ClarkWG

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
No improvement. Still bad. Look for the other threads on this. Pics showing the issue.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
So is the noise reduction a ios 8 (software) change or hardware? My iPhone 6 pics come out with the Monet effect that people have mentioned. Thought 8.1 would improve your this, but didn't.

Thanks

Its not even just noise reduction that is horrendous (even on low ISO images too!) but the heavy JPEG compression....they need to set the compression to the least setting so you get or have the option for bigger JPEG's (like the setting DSLR's have)...wouldn't mind a RAW setting but don't see that anytime soon :p PNG's would be nice (strange for live images but still lossless).

ClarkWG

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Its not even just noise reduction that is horrendous (even on low ISO images too!) but the heavy JPEG compression....they need to set the compression to the least setting so you get or have the option for bigger JPEG's (like the setting DSLR's have)...wouldn't mind a RAW setting but don't see that anytime soon :p PNG's would be nice (strange for live images but still lossless).

Just make the pictures as good as the 5s and I'll be happy.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I agree, anything other than perfect lighting and the pictures don't look good at all.

I expect to lose some sharpness in very low light, but not in "Not quite perfect" light.

Meathead1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
No clue how these cameras got praised for low-light performance.

All shill reviewers. There are a few unbiased reviews out there talking about the issues.

For some reason that I cannot understand, Apple has changed the JPG processing engine and dramatically reduced the contrast in the photos. This produces blotchy, ugly skin tones and dull, lifeless landscapes. It’s not a subtle difference at all.

http://improvephotography.com/30019/iphone-6-camera-depth-review/

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Here's my anecdotal comparison. I tried to make the 6 and 5S pictures as close to the same as possible. I intentionally put the box at an angle to see the depth of field. This is simply two phones in the same place taking a picture of a box. I normally scrub the EXIF data but meh so you can see the details.

iPhone 6 with flash - 1,632 KB - IMG_3286.JPG
IMG_3286.JPG

iPhone 6 without flash - 1,765 KB - IMG_3287.JPG
IMG_3287.JPG

iPhone 5S with flash - 1,420 KB - IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG

iPhone 5S without flash - 1,315 KB - IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
Is this the general consensus on these cameras? I read over and over how the camera on both the 6 & the 6 plus we're virtually identical, aside from OIS, and that they both took great shots even in low light. I'm about to switch my 6 plus for a 6, but I was under the impression that the camera would be as good as the one I have now w/ the 6 plus. Maybe I need to reconsider....

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I've been extremely pleased with the improvement in photo quality in regards to color accuracy, flash, speed, and virtually any other comparison over my iPhone 5. These are still phones, after all.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Is this the general consensus on these cameras? I read over and over how the camera on both the 6 & the 6 plus we're virtually identical, aside from OIS, and that they both took great shots even in low light. I'm about to switch my 6 plus for a 6, but I was under the impression that the camera would be as good as the one I have now w/ the 6 plus. Maybe I need to reconsider....

You don't. Aside from mechanical OIS, the sensor is the same, and it's take the same photos. If you're happy with he 6 Plus, unless you're really shaky with your hands, the 6 should fine.

Also, I'm fine with how my 6 Plus takes photos, as well.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
You don't. Aside from mechanical OIS, the sensor is the same, and it's take the same photos. If you're happy with he 6 Plus, unless you're really shaky with your hands, the 6 should fine.

Also, I'm fine with how my 6 Plus takes photos, as well.

Ok great. Thanks.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Camera+ now has a lossless TIFF option.

Might be worth having a play with that.

I found a lot of my pics coming out quite ugly and yellowish, the monet effect included.

Turns out that disabling HDR resolved it. Any slight movement with HDR on seems to wreck pics in lower light.

dyusem

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
The seemingly improved camera is one of the primary reasons that I was going to upgrade but now I'm not so sure although the suggestion to turn HDR of is intriguing and I'm listening in...

Meathead1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
The seemingly improved camera is one of the primary reasons that I was going to upgrade but now I'm not so sure although the suggestion to turn HDR of is intriguing and I'm listening in...

If you have a 5 or 5S I would not upgrade. The camera simply is not better. There is more lens flare, huge amounts of noise reduction that dull and make the pictures look like water colored and the images are compressed more.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If you have a 5 or 5S I would not upgrade. The camera simply is not better. There is more lens flare, huge amounts of noise reduction that dull and make the pictures look like water colored and the images are compressed more.

In YOUR experience and opinion.

I upgraded from a 5 and my colleague, who is a professional photographer, upgraded from a 5, and we've both been blown away by how much better our pictures/videos have been coming out.

But that's just OUR experience. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.