Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Wonder why it has not been on CNN yet ?
image.jpeg

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Every once in a while this is going to happen. I am also surprised that "other" news outlets have not reported this, though it is early, as so many are wanting to dog out Apple.

I will be interested in seeing the results of the investigation as this happens so rarely when you consider how many iPhones are in service.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Every once in a while this is going to happen. I am also surprised that "other" news outlets have not reported this, though it is early, as so many are wanting to dog out Apple.

I will be interested in seeing the results of the investigation as this happens so rarely when you consider how many iPhones are in service.
Problems do arise, but more times than not, the initial headline is "IPHONE BURSTS INTO FLAMES POSSIBLY ENDANGERING ORPHANNAGE. HAS APPLE LOST ITS WAY SINCE STEVE JOBS' DEATH?!?!"

...only later to say that the user was charging a 3rd party repaired battery of an iPhone with a frayed charging cable from 2010 in the shower.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Problems do arise, but more times than not, the initial headline is "IPHONE BURSTS INTO FLAMES POSSIBLY ENDANGERING ORPHANNAGE. HAS APPLE LOST ITS WAY SINCE STEVE JOBS' DEATH?!?!"

...only later to say that the user was charging a 3rd party repaired battery of an iPhone with a frayed charging cable from 2010 in the shower.

Haha exactly... If a battery is in good condition with no damage and charged properly then there should be no problem. How much do you want to bet that iPhone 6's screen and or battery was replaced improperly at some point? The iPhone 5 I recently rebuilt had a replaced battery from an Apple Store and was poorly installed. They got the battery casing stuck in one of the screen retention clips causing an intermittent short.... Shows you not even Apple employees can be trusted with replacing a battery.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Any smartphone catching on fire is possible but it is an extremely rare occurrence. There are generally external conditions that lead to the phone catching fire.

Like there was a case a few years ago where a girl's galaxy s3 caught fire while she was sleeping. She had the phone charging and a placed it under her pillow which caused it to overheat.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Haha exactly... If a battery is in good condition with no damage and charged properly then there should be no problem. How much do you want to bet that iPhone 6's screen and or battery was replaced improperly at some point? The iPhone 5 I recently rebuilt had a replaced battery from an Apple Store and was poorly installed. They got the battery casing stuck in one of the screen retention clips causing an intermittent short.... Shows you not even Apple employees can be trusted with replacing a battery.

Interesting that conditions leading to this kind of thing can be "created". If that's the case, then any iPhone could be rigged to go up flames on command. And if that's possible, then is seems like iPhones could become potent weapons, and theoretically banned on flights.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
My work 5S randomly goes bonkers and starts eating the power at an alarming rate - when it does, you feel the case gets very warm and the only thing that works is to power it off. Kinda worrying!

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
I was just about to post a thread on this story. I wonder how long it will take before we start seeing the Apple bashers surfacing?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My work 5S randomly goes bonkers and starts eating the power at an alarming rate - when it does, you feel the case gets very warm and the only thing that works is to power it off. Kinda worrying!
You should get that tended to. My two 5S on 9.2.1 do nothing of the sort. Maybe a DFU wipe and clean restore.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Why's it bashing - I'm pretty sure if it was the other way around the apple 'boys would be 40+ pages deep on it by now.. ;)

seems like a legit story to me...
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...lames-starting-scramble/ar-BBqHfVN?li=BBoPOOl
You mean there would be more folks bashing a non-Apple phone on a forum named MACrumors? Shocker. :rolleyes:

THe issue isn't whether it happened or not. It most certainly did. The issue is, and has always been, the context and circumstances regarding such incidents.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I will wait for a proper newspaper to report it. Most British newspapers are based more on fiction rather than the truth, the tabloids like the Daily Mail in particular.

Reactions: ABC5S

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
You should get that tended to. My two 5S on 9.2.1 do nothing of the sort. Maybe a DFU wipe and clean restore.

I upgraded my year old 5s to 9.2.1, which broke Touch ID, and resulted in a condition in which it constantly drains the battery at an accelerated rate. It also seems to charge abnormally fast. And gets unusually hot when doing anything.

Took it to the Apple Store, they performed every test they can do, wiped the phone several times, etc. and could not explain why it is behaving the way it is. They refused to change the battery since it was otherwise in good condition based on their criteria, despite witnessing the problem first hand and seeing anomalies during their tests, and the only solution for all of it they recommended was to send the phone in for $269 out of warranty repair.

Their official diagnosis was that the upgrade to iOS 9.2.1 exposed a previously unknown hardware defect.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I upgraded my year old 5s to 9.2.1, which broke Touch ID, and resulted in a condition in which it constantly drains the battery at an accelerated rate. It also seems to charge abnormally fast. And gets unusually hot when doing anything.

Took it to the Apple Store, they performed every test they can do, wiped the phone several times, etc. and could not explain why it is behaving the way it is. They refused to change the battery since it was otherwise in good condition based on their criteria, despite witnessing the problem first hand and seeing anomalies during their tests, and the only solution for all of it they recommended was to send the phone in for $269 out of warranty repair.

Their official diagnosis was that the upgrade to iOS 9.2.1 exposed a previously unknown hardware defect.
All I know is that my two 5s were updated ota and do not have any issues. Wait for 9.3 and see if it helps.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
All I know is that my two 5s were updated ota and do not have any issues. Wait for 9.3 and see if it helps.

That's the plan. My point is there seems to be a number of these kind of reported breaks after 9.2.1, so it will be interesting if it's something Apple intends to fix, or can fix.

I normally have Apple Care+ but unfortunately I bought a friend's iPhone (when he upgraded to a 6), and which suffered a warranty issue a month after I bought it, and Apple replaced under warranty with a brand new 5s. Unfortunately, the period to buy Apple Care + had expired on the original purchase, and even though this was a brand new phone, Apple wouldn't sell me even a prorated AC+ on it.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Must be just fine then if some don't get it... others are clearly not so lucky.

I've not noticed rapid charging, but it's not a full time thing for me. Only happens when it wants - i thought originally it was just processes/programs looping or going crazy in the background but despite restarts and killing all the apps only 20mins off seems to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.