IPHONE 6 CDMA and GSM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by remusrm, Jan 18, 2015.

1. remusrm macrumors newbie

I went to apple store to purchase an iPhone 6. I was told that is the only phone that is CDMA and GSM in the unlocked form. Is this true? I would like one if its possible to use it on Verizon or other service or swap between services. Anyone ca provide more info on this matter since I do not want to shell out 710 bucks and return it later on.

Thank you.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Since the SIM-free version is in stock and works with all 4 carriers, if you plan to pay full price, just go ahead and buy that version. While it's true you can get the AT&T or T-Mobile versions to work with Verizon, you may as well just get the SIM-free if it's available.

3. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

If you'd like to get it on Verizon for a discounted upgrade, you could do that as well. The Verizon iPhone 6 and 6+ are unlocked out of the box to use on GSM as well.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would recommend just paying full price for the Verizon one. Any other unlocked one can be gotten to work with Verizon, but if I understand it correctly you have to have a sim that is already activated with a different phone or it won't work. If you get a Verizon one it is unlocked and Verizon will be willing to activate it for you even if you don't already have an active sim.

5. remusrm thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I will do this since the cheapest way to acquire it. Also Best Buy has a deal that you get 150$ credit when you sign up. Thank you guys.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have a sim-free 6+ and it works on ATT and T-Mobile. I'd like to test it out on Verizon one month. I'll consider Sprint again once own if they ever offer competitive pre-pay plans.

7. RenoDavid macrumors newbie

Are you sure you want to do that? If you get that Verizon model you're still going to be stuck with a two-year Verizon contract. Not sure where the freedom comes in there. Sure, I guess you can swap in some GSM SIM cards, but you're still stuck paying that Verizon contract every month.

I actually just got a sim-free model and signed up for a plan from T-Mobile for $30 per month. If I don't like it I'm free to try a plan from any other company whenever I feel like it.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose. #

----------

You're a little behind the times. The new sim-free, unlocked iPhone will work with any of the carriers right out of the box. Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. You're good to go with any and all of them. It's the first iPhone to be able to do this. There's no need to go through that song and dance to get it to work on Verizon. Freedom!#