iPhone 6 chargering.. Better to keep it on charger or off?

supernet33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Question,

When I am at my desk, is it better to keep it plugging in charging or keep it unplugged and only charge it at night?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Question,

When I am at my desk, is it better to keep it plugging in charging or keep it unplugged and only charge it at night?
It doesn't matter either way, and will neither harm nor be beneficial to your battery to charge it up at your desk or only charge it at night. Charge it as-needed to meet your power needs.

poshrobot

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
WI
Its generally thought to be better for a battery to charge it whenever you get a chance to. The goal is to reduce the number of FULL charge cycles.

For example charging from 90 to 100% is only 10% of one cycle.

Ry&EmsMom

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Its generally thought to be better for a battery to charge it whenever you get a chance to. The goal is to reduce the number of FULL charge cycles.

For example charging from 90 to 100% is only 10% of one cycle.
Wow-I didn't know this. Thanks for the information.

anthonybkny

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
NYC
From what I've read about lithium ion batteries, it's best to keep the battery between 40 and 80 percent. They don't like to be empty or full. But if you don't plan to keep your phone for more than a few years, than do what you want.

icebergx

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think what the OP is asking is, in the long term, when he's at his desk, is it better to have the phone permanently connected to a charger, or simply let it run off it's battery, once it's fully charged?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I can tell you that leaving my old MacBook Pro plugged in all the time using it as a desktop effectively killed the battery; it could only hold a charge for 5 minutes.

On my new MacBook Pro I broke that bad habit by unplugging it once it's topped off.

If you keep your iPhone docked at your computer all day, I recommend to just unplug the USB end from your computer once it's fully charged that way it won't wreak havoc on the battery life. This way the iPhone is still docked and not charging :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.