iPhone 6 chargering.. Better to keep it on charger or off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supernet33, Sep 29, 2014.

1. supernet33 macrumors regular

Question,

When I am at my desk, is it better to keep it plugging in charging or keep it unplugged and only charge it at night?

2. supernet33 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter.

I always charge it at night. I'll charge it in the day if I need to too.

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It doesn't matter either way, and will neither harm nor be beneficial to your battery to charge it up at your desk or only charge it at night. Charge it as-needed to meet your power needs.

5. poshrobot macrumors member

poshrobot

Its generally thought to be better for a battery to charge it whenever you get a chance to. The goal is to reduce the number of FULL charge cycles.

For example charging from 90 to 100% is only 10% of one cycle.

6. Ry&EmsMom macrumors newbie

Wow-I didn't know this. Thanks for the information.

7. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

From what I've read about lithium ion batteries, it's best to keep the battery between 40 and 80 percent. They don't like to be empty or full. But if you don't plan to keep your phone for more than a few years, than do what you want.

8. icebergx macrumors regular

I think what the OP is asking is, in the long term, when he's at his desk, is it better to have the phone permanently connected to a charger, or simply let it run off it's battery, once it's fully charged?

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

People get too caught up in battery life when most of us get rid of our phones after 2 years lol

10. troop231, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

troop231 macrumors 603

I can tell you that leaving my old MacBook Pro plugged in all the time using it as a desktop effectively killed the battery; it could only hold a charge for 5 minutes.

On my new MacBook Pro I broke that bad habit by unplugging it once it's topped off.

If you keep your iPhone docked at your computer all day, I recommend to just unplug the USB end from your computer once it's fully charged that way it won't wreak havoc on the battery life. This way the iPhone is still docked and not charging :)