Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
With a contract you end up paying for that phone 3 times over.

199 for an iPhone? Try getting a new BMW for 2000

Adding the total cost with the carrier for the life of the contract, yes you do pay more that the cost of the phone.

However, paying full price for the phone doesn't get you a better data plan here in the US(ATT, Verizon). So you are going to pay roughly the same amoun over a 2 year period for service.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
They sell iPhones at a huge profit because that's what they're worth to the market. And if you think they're worth that much mostly because of the Apple logo, you're more wrong than you're right.

Not at all.

There are plenty of options in the cell phone market that provide to the customer identical user experience. And or at least, functionality.

Hell, an old Blackberry still makes phone calls, handles texts, emails, etc. with ease.

The attraction of an iPhone over a cheaper, easier to get Android device is that it is made by Apple.

The only counter argument would be investement in ecosystems. Assuming you've invested hundreds, or thousands into iOS applications. BUT, if thats the case, again, all that means is Apple has you locked in and as such can charge whatever they want.

The freedom for the consumer has never been more large, the choice made is made through emotional needs, not rational ones.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Samsung still making the processors for their biggest consumer rival, the likes of which they mock commercially.

Makes it easy to believe in an oligarchical world where competition is an illusion :O

Be very afraid.

Some of you guys would still be waiting for Iphone 6 plus if it wasn't for Samsung supplying those processors...:rolleyes:

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Yes, because the raw parts are the only aspect of the cost. Heck, even this article, unlike most of these types of articles, says more goes into the cost, yet you still felt compelled to comment "only Apple can get away with this"?? Ugh.

And only $16 more for more glass, more aluminum, bigger battery, and OIS? Right.

Of course I felt compelled to comment, because even additional costs would put themselves far below what I and other paid. Not angry by it, but just commenting. It's worth the price in the end.

You weren't exactly forced to buy the phone, you know.

I know. It was a simple comment about the price paid versus its estimated costs. It's the only smartphone I'd pay that much for.

AverageBob

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
How many millions is key. If it was $150 million, that would add a dollar to the cost of the iPhone since they will sell somewhere around 150 million a year. If it is $1.5 billion, it would add $10 per phone.

Yeah you guys need to relax with the R&D argument. Do you really think Apple spent $1.5 BILLION on R&D for iphone 6? Even if everything is factored in, R&D, packaging, shipping etc, don't kid yourself into thinking Apple isn't making HUGE margins...like over 50% on ALL models (not that there's anything wrong with that).

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
A 69% profit margin is pretty amazing. I wonder what the margin is for other companies like Samsung when they make a new phone...

This is gross profit. That's very, very low. It would be interesting to see what the Net is. Likely 8 to 10%, or even less if they're lucky.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Adding the total cost with the carrier for the life of the contract, yes you do pay more that the cost of the phone.

However, paying full price for the phone doesn't get you a better data plan here in the US(ATT, Verizon). So you are going to pay roughly the same amoun over a 2 year period for service.

With Verizon, if you use their Edge program or pay full retail, you do get a discount of either $10/line (so $240 over 2 years, so not enough to cover the $450 subsidy) for 8 GB plans and less, or $25/line (so $600 over 2 years, or s savings of $150). So still something, though not much.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This is gross profit. That's very, very low. It would be interesting to see what the Net is. Likely 8 to 10%, or even less if they're lucky.

I highly doubt it is anywhere that low. R&d wouldn't be much due to the large amount of phones Apple sells, shipping is cheap and apple doesn't go all out in advertising like Samsung.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Yeah you guys need to relax with the R&D argument. Do you really think Apple spent $1.5 BILLION on R&D for iphone 6? Even if everything is factored in, R&D, packaging, shipping etc, don't kid yourself into thinking Apple isn't making HUGE margins...like over 50% on ALL models (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Apple announces its R&D expenses in its public filings. It reported $4.3 billion for the prior nine months ending last quarter. I suspect a bunch of that was on the iPhone, iOS8, and features such as Apple Pay which will help sell the iPhone 6. Adding $10 bucks to each phone's cost for R&D is not an unreasonable assumption, I believe.

But yes, Apple makes huge margins on these phones. And I suspect even better margins on this version of phone in particular the 6 plus.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
On my way to MacRumors I thought, the iPhone 6 is out, maybe I'll get a day or two without stories about the iPhone dominating the news feed. Nope.....
New iPhones were released only 4 days ago. Your expectations need to be revised.

Welcome to MR, by the way.

AverageBob

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Apple announces its R&D expenses in its public filings. It reported $4.3 billion for the prior nine months ending last quarter. I suspect a bunch of that was on the iPhone, iOS8, and features such as Apple Pay which will help sell the iPhone 6. Adding $10 bucks to each phone's cost for R&D is not an unreasonable assumption, I believe.

But yes, Apple makes huge margins on these phones. And I suspect even better margins on this version of phone in particular the 6 plus.

Ok I didn't know they spend that much. That's actually quite a lot but it still will be let's say $25 per device for R&D. Add $75 for advertizing, shipping, patents etc, and you're at $300 For a device they sell at $650 in the US, and much more in many other countries. Pretty impressive margins.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wish people would stop using the term subsidy. AT&T isn't subsidizing my phone. I'm paying off the phone every month as part of my phone bill. Just because you don't pay the full cost of the phone up front doesn't mean its subsidized. I didn't pay the full amount for my new car when I bought it either. No one says car dealerships subsidize new car purchases.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
and this does not even include the R&D that goes into those devices ....

Apple's real margins are in the financials. The gross margins mean nothing at all.

Apple's product is not the hardware alone, but its entire ecosystem, this is its main distinction from others. That's were half its effort goes.

You get a complete software suite with your phone, does android offer this without having to connect to the network and being tracked? Not at all.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

When do you think Apple reports R&D costs for the Watch?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
With a contract you end up paying for that phone 3 times over.

199 for an iPhone? Try getting a new BMW for 2000

You aren't paying for the phone 3 times over. Wish people would stop saying this. You can't include price of the service(which is what everyone pays, regardless if you bought outright or on contract), in the price of a subsidized phone.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Yet I paid $800 (including tax) for the iPhone 6 Plus 16GB. Only Apple can get away with this.

Yes, let's forget about costs like staff, buildings, legal, assembly, design, transport, etc. Let alone profit.

My family spends about $1,000/month on food & household items. How about I pay you $1,500 to buy my items and cook my dinners. You'll be makin a huge 50% profit margin. Unbelievable! I'll let you get away with it.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
no free lunch...

so...the subsidized price paid in the US is like getting the phone at cost?

Not at all.

All you're really doing with the $200 is paying a portion of the device upfront, but your service plan will extract the remaining balanced owed on the device through it's monthly contract billing rates. And if you're not careful, you can end up actually paying more for the device after 24 months if you decide not to upgrade your phone at that point in time as some carriers won't adjust your monthly bill after the phone is paid off, thus perpetually paying for the device portion of your service after it's already paid in full.

See T-Mobile USA's website for the overall concept in separating the pricing structure of the service plan vs. the device itself here.

Last edited:

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
the component cost of a banksy piece is about $10

At the intersection of technology and liberal arts the real estate is pretty high

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You aren't paying for the phone 3 times over. Wish people would stop saying this. You can't include price of the service(which is what everyone pays, regardless if you bought outright or on contract), in the price of a subsidized phone.

I see the poster you quoted is in Ireland, and as I understand it, dealing with a totally different carrier business model.

Like you, I’m in the US, and here, I have yet to see much difference when you’re dealing with the major carriers in the US.

I’m currently on Verizon, if I don’t pick up a new 2 year contract, my monthly bill for service will be the same. I’ll wind up being with Verizon for another 2 years anyway, since I’ve already done my time with AT&T, and the other carriers don’t offer what I feel is acceptable [LTE] coverage. So all the subsidized price does to me is lock me into a contract I was going to have anyway, so why not let them cover 50%+ of the price.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I wish people would stop using the term subsidy. AT&T isn't subsidizing my phone. I'm paying off the phone every month as part of my phone bill. Just because you don't pay the full cost of the phone up front doesn't mean its subsidized. I didn't pay the full amount for my new car when I bought it either. No one says car dealerships subsidize new car purchases.

It is not a subsidy, its a loan with not too bad rate.

In Canada on Fido (Rogers subsidiary), you got :

For Iphone 6 64G $600 ("subsidy", extra you pay over the same plan you can take without buying Iphone) + $365, for a $850 dollar phone.
About 9.5% interest per year, not horrible, but its better to finance it yourself on a credit line if you can or pay it cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.