iPhone 6 Concept Mockup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J.gerbes, Feb 22, 2014.

1. J.gerbes, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

J.gerbes macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I have been busy mocking up my idea of the iPhone 6.

It has the exact same physical dimensions of the 5/5S, yet accommodates a 4.7" display at 1280 x 720 (vs the 1136 x 640 of the 5 etc.)

The display, being 112% the size of the current 4", fits perfectly between the chamfered edges of the device. The Touch ID/Home button, Speaker and Camera can be easily repositioned to accommodate the larger display.

In my opinion, the larger display in the same sized body makes the 5/5s look instantly dated.

To scale iOS up to the larger size, the icons would need to be spaced out (as seen on iPad). I attempted fitting extra rows in, and it became very obvious why Apple has vouched for a 4 x 5 icon grid. It just looks cramped.

I have included a picture of iOS stretched out to fill the display vs spaced out to keep in scale.

Oh and for those wondering how the iPod style iPhone 6 may look, I mocked that up too (note the silence switch)

Just rough and inexperienced concepts, but they give a good idea of my opinion of how Apple will tackle the larger display in the next generation iPhone.

Let me know what you think!

iPhone-6-vs-5s.png

iOS-Stretched-vs-Scaled.png

iPod-vs-5s.png

2. 617aircav Suspended

Rubbish. You just took the current phone and mixed it with an iPod touch.

3. J.gerbes thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you've missed the entire point of this thread. I made a mockup of the iPhone 6 (an iPhone with a 4.7" screen)

4. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

They won't add the loop to the iPhone. Just no.

5. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

From the OP's post
    I believe the OP was referencing what the Touch would look like IF it were to look like the iPhone 6 style, though he should remove the ear piece portion as well as the phone icon from the picture for it to be an iPod Touch.

6. J.gerbes thread starter macrumors 6502

That's almost right. I was building upon the "leaked" images of the iPhone 6 that show a design alike that of the iPod touch. This was the only high resolution image of the touch I could find, so I just changed the front to resemble that of the potential iPhone 6.

The difference between the iPod style iPhone 6 and the 5s (from the front) are that the buttons have the slimmer elongated style, like the current gen iPads.

That was my intention, maybe I should have just left it out :D

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I think you are right on target with the 4.7" screen mock up. Last I heard the rumor mill has Apple coming out with a 4.7 and a 5"+ screen, don't remember what the larger size was. I agree with the iPod/iPad casing of the back too. No lanyard loop though.

I would be very surprised if Apple came out with 2 new form factor phones at the same time. Fitting the 4.7 in the 5/5s for factor is perfect!

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I would like the iphone to become a bit wider, i think it will be necessary if they want to keep battery life the same with the larger screen sucking up power.

9. J.gerbes thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. Though that would put an end to the edge-to-edge design rumours. Either that or the iPhone wouldn't maintain its 16:9 ratio.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

11. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

My only issue is the unsymmetrical top and bottom. Without it, the iPhone starts to look like a generic smartphone.

It might look dopey with a big forehead, but have you tried a symetrical version?

Very nice mockup.

12. J.gerbes thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I have. And I agree, it starts to look like something other than an iPhone once you lose the symmetry. But saying that, what about Touch ID? The iPhone home button was iconic. Why change it?

Or maybe the 30-pin connector? With so many millions of devices and thousands of accessories, why change it?

Or most noticeably, what about iOS 7? Need I say more?

Apple have changed the iPhone brand significantly. In ways that people have always said are "un-apple-like". How about the antenna breaks on the 4? Everyone claimed that it was a fake. Especially having the unsymmetrical like at the top of the phone. Or the "horrible" two-toned back of the 5. Or the Gold of the 5s. Or the "unapologetic" plastic of the 5c.

Change, if for the better, should be the pursued option, should it not?

Having a symmetrical top and bottom, purely for the fact of being symmetrical is small minded in my opinion.

Unless Apple elongate the shape of the home button (which I highly doubt), I believe it's a real possibility that iPhone 6 may be asymmetrical. But I'm more than willing to eat my words come September :D

13. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

I hope I didn't offend you, because it wasn't the intention of my post. I think you did a great job in your mock up, but I was just stating that the lack of symmetry seemed un-Apple like, which is just my opinion. I agree with your points regarding the 30-pin connector and home button, but Apple's use of symmetry is a separate issue again. It's products have changed dramatically over the years, and iconic features have been replaced for the better, but I think the one thing that has been consistent this whole time has been the use of symmetry. That's a big part of what gives Apple's products their orderly and beautiful simplicity. To adopt an asymmetrical design would seem to be a huge departure from their basic principles.

That's just my two cents. I could be completely wrong.

By the way, I love the 4.7" display with the spaced out icons. An iPhone that revealed more wallpaper would be superb.

14. J.gerbes, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

J.gerbes thread starter macrumors 6502

You didn't offend me at all :)

I'm glad you like the spaced out version. I do too. You're right about showing more wallpaper, Apple are all for elevating the users content. iOS 7 was a huge step in that direction.

I type this while noticing that the top border of my retina MacBook Pro is much thicker than the bottom one. I agree, symmetry is something that Apple has tried to maintain. In some cases, it makes sense not to. iPhone 4 antenna band, for instance.

Here are a few more examples: proximity sensor on left of iPhone 5+ speaker, nothing on right. Rear iPhone camera on the left instead on centre. The black antenna bar along the bottom of the first iPhone, nothing atop. Antenna strip on one side of all the iPod touch models.

Or much more relevantly to this matter, take a look at the new nano! If the top and bottom borders of that are symmetrical, then that brings a whole new meaning to the word

Without making an unnecessarily bulky iPhone, the only way Apple can keep it symmetrical is by changing the Touch ID sensor

[​IMG]

15. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Your mockup semms to me really good and I suppose that this would be the look of the new iphone( Every year we found photos of new model and someone says this is not the next iphone.... the leaked pics from two weeks ago semms real to me, except the gold mockup)
    For the 5,7' inch iphone I'm not really sure apple would realease this... why two iPhone? 4,7' is really different from 5,7' and sapphire for only one device seems unlikely....
    Could you please also make a mockup for the 5,7' version? maybe with 5 icons!
    Another thing... probably in the next iphone we would see buttons like on the ipad

16. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

The mock up looks super nice. Hardware would look awesome. But the point in wanting a bigger screen (at least for me) is getting more real estate. We can't jump to a 1280*720 resolution. That's just too low and difference wouldn't be too noticeable imo...

17. gto55 macrumors 6502a

gto55

Hmmm...

[​IMG]

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My honest comment is...

You haven't presented us with anything we haven't seen before. There have been plenty of larger screen concepts (that keep the actual phone the same size) way back from when the iPhone 5S was still rumors and nothing tangible.

I mean, you DID take the iPod touch back and PS it behind your "modified" 6... Surely you don't expect props for that? :confused:

19. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Where did you get a 4.7 inch screen from? The device itself is barely that high :s

20. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Along the same lines, my best guess is that Apple will not use the same or similar design styling as the 5/5S for the iPhone 6.

I am hoping that Apple wows us like they did with the iPhone 4 design. The 5/5S design was criticized by some as not moving the bar high enough, so I wonder if Apple will take a more radical approach this time.

21. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

22. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Thanks for the concept. Probably pretty close, but we might get one a little wider to have a larger battery. We are all starved for Iphone 6 information.

23. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I want a wider phone. Tired of the less effective taller version. Apple and it's users need to get over the narrow tall phone and move on to a normal aspect ratio iPhone 6.