iPhone 6 Crashing to Apple Logo

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by andrewsjra, Apr 15, 2015.

1. andrewsjra macrumors regular

Has anyone recently experienced their iPhone crashing to the Apple logo and then respringing to the home screen? I'm running IOS 8.3. I was simply deleting an app on my home screen and it froze for a second in between both pages I was scrolling to. It then immediately crashed to the Apple logo for about 8-10 seconds and back to my home screen. I've experienced this many times in the past with my iPhone 5 running IOS7. Anyone else?

2. Strang0r macrumors member

Strang0r

I can't recall what I was doing at the time but I have also had a couple of random crashes to the apple logo.

3. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

IT's happened to me a few times since 8.3. I'm on a 6 plus

4. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6 Crashing to Apple Logo

I've been getting this periodically as well. Didn't get it with the betas, but with the final release. It also seems to be related to home screen swiping for me. If I navigate the home screen after I've had a memory-intensive app open or I'm doing something in the background like downloading app updates, and I swipe between home screens two fast, I get this. In fact, if I trigger a series of updates and start playing around swiping between home screens, I can usually make it happen. It's a Springboard crash, so the phone is not technically rebooting, but the process that handles the home screens is crashing, and it also has the effect of dumping all cached applications from memory. Rather irritating, I must say.

It's something Apple seems to be struggling with. iOS 7 prior to 7.1 did it, as did the initial release of 8.0. 8.1 and 8.2 never did it at least on my devices, but now it's back in 8.3. I think it's related to memory management. The device is either not dumping things from the RAM cache fast enough, or something is requesting way too much memory… in any case, the result is crashiness.

5. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

I had this happen last night, loaded up the DirecTV app, and a couple seconds in, crashed to the Apple logo

6. staticoranges macrumors newbie

This keeps happening to me when I try to control the music app from the lock screen while streaming music to my Sound Bar via Bluetooth.

7. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

same issue on my 5s and mini 2

happened 2 times on both of them.

i think it's about an application or applications that does not compatible with 8.3

realized that after happening this issue. diagnostic & usage section was full of jetsam event logs. i've checked them and says Largest process :facebook and all the rest was springboard.

battery doctor was the most suspicious app for me and removed last night. now i'll check if it will happen again or not.

definitely memory management issue. must be fixed by developers of the applications.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

If the springboard is crashing, it's always an OS issue. It should not be possible for apps to trigger anything like this. If it is memory-related, the OS is responsible for allocating memory, and for terminating apps that try to use too much.

9. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

so,what's the best thing for getting rid of that issue?

10. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

That's the big question, isn't it…

Most likely a matter of filing bugs with Apple and waiting for a fix.

11. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

yes i did this and sent a feedback to them.

i realize that mostly happen when or after i update my apps on the app store that has got bigger sizes (80-100 mb) too weird..but as you say definitely memory management issue.

hope it'll be fixed asap

12. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Count me in!

My iPhone 5S with iOS 8.3 has been crashing to the Apple logo also.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yes, had it several times since 8.3 on iPhone 6.

14. HansumKingtut Suspended

HansumKingtut

I get this...

I get this, and believe I have figured it out. Well at least for me. I have found that if I launch all my applications. I have about 60 or so, including the native IOS apps. Then continue to use my phone for about a half hour, while all apps are launched, it will suddenly crash to the apple logo. And it will typically happen when using the app switcher or just after backing out of an app to the home screen.

Now I do not do this often, I just did it a couple times as a test. I have been looking for a corresponding crash log but haven't really found one.

I have a 128GB Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus on AT&T running iOS 8.3 (12F70).

15. cactus3 macrumors member

@HansumKingtut that's probably just overloading the CPU.

I have this problem too - it isn't often, and I'm never doing anything specific. I may only have one app open, or it could be four. I could be looking at my pictures, replying to a text, playing a game, or opening Safari - it just happens.

16. Strobot macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue on iphone 5 on iOS8.3.
    It got locked on the Apple logo twice, every time I did a restore of a backup file.
    After the restore, everything went fine for about a week and then the crashes started all over again.

I've gathered some .panic.ips files and am considering just going to the APR to have this looked at.
    A device of 2.5 years old, that initially costed 700€, should fail like this after a simple software upgrade...
    The issues started occurring after updating to 8.3...

17. wendimc macrumors member

Did not happen to me. But it sounds like several people are experiencing this issue and it's a real bug.

18. Strobot macrumors newbie

I had a chatsession with someone of Apple Support yesterday. He suggested repairing the iPhone als 'New iphone' instead of from a backup. Clearly then you need to store your contacts etc somewhere else beforehand...

19. gmintz09 macrumors member

Yes, I've had this happen a couple of times to me on my 6 Plus. Weird! I don't think I was even doing anything intensive that would make it crash or anything. I don't remember if it's only happened on 8.3 or if I had the issue on 8.2 as well, but either way it's frustrating.

20. Tomkins! macrumors member

Yep, just had this happen to my 6 Plus after installing an app. Sometimes it crashes to the home screen right after I double-tap the home button too quickly. iOS 8 isn't exactly the hallmark of stability and reliability.

21. robertkarlsen macrumors regular

robertkarlsen

22. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

especially it happens afters updating apps that has large sizes (80-110 mb)

hope it'll fixed soon.definitely a memory management issue.

23. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

just happened a few moments before..

my 5s has just crashed to apple logo..and here are the diagnostic logs..it's definitely a memory management issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see it's happening after updating big sized apps.After than it starts to log reports every 10 seconds as springboard crash..really annoying issue. you can report this bug to apple and share these images also.

24. laszlo182 macrumors regular

Few times a day, when bringing up multitasking, iPhone 6 plus

25. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

Very Annoying..you can report this bug to apple..maybe they can release a hotfix patch for this. Before 8.4 release