iPhone 6 darkish band across top

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by N1zmo, Oct 6, 2014.

1. N1zmo macrumors newbie

Looks like some people are reporting that a large number of iphone 6's have darkish bands at the top of their screens. I seem to have the same problem on mine but I'm surprised that there is little discussion about it here. Anyone else seeing this?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6551069

2. doboy macrumors 68000

I think it's the shadow cast by the backlighting. My 1st one was much more noticeable than my current one that I exchanged for a different storage size.

3. cababah, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

cababah macrumors 68000

It's really sad that Apple still has trouble making displays that have even lighting and uniform tint. This even applies to the iPad lineup. I am sure that as they make the panels thinner and thinner, it presents some challenges but still...these are $700-$1,000 devices...

4. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I can't really see what the op in that thread was talking about, most images didnt load for some reason though.

Now the guy who increased contrast on a white background, yeah, that shadowing and uneven backlighting. Very bad, and very familiar as someone who has had these problems with the iPad Air.

5. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

yeah same here with white/silver iP6 16GB - top right quater was much darker than rest of display... but it seems that silver and gold variants are most affected, it seems not like backlight issue because when you set black background and with maxed out brightnes I can't see any backlight bleeding or other issue

6. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

7. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

I noticed that after few seconds of use, so it's problem for me, my old iP5 does not have this "feature" at all

8. CupertinoSlave macrumors regular

CupertinoSlave

I have had an iPad with backlight issues, this does not look like that. As you said, it would be noticeable on black backgrounds but its not.

I have yet to find an iPhone 6 without it though. Seems odd that not much people are noticing it.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

No such issue with my 6 Plus. In fact, it has the most uniform display out of all my apple gear.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Noticed the same issue when I first took it out of the box and was setting it up.

With my old wall paper, adjusted screen brightness, and apps installed I just don't notice any screen issue anymore.

The tell will be when I walk into an Apple Store in another month or so after all the ruckus and availability issues have died down.

Comparing screens on display models will make or break whether it gets swapped or not.

11. metrocon macrumors member

Noticed the same issue with my silver iPhone 6, went to the Apple Store and nearly all of the silver/gold ones had the same problem. I only looked at one space gray one and it looked better.

Sometimes I don't notice it, sometimes it sticks out like a sore thumb. Seems to be more noticeable when I hold the phone in landscape view, one side seems darker than the other, especially on white backgrounds like ibooks and web pages.

I also have a 6 plus that doesn't have this problem at all.

12. Transporter macrumors newbie

I too had the issue on my 1st replacement iPhone 6, it was slightly yellowish around the top right corner of the screen! My 2nd replacement phone is just fine! I noticed that the transparency effect is a bit confusing in this regard because it darkens the very top of the screen slightly, for instance when you're scrolling through photos.

13. N1zmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is also white/silver and the other apple discussion thread also calls out the white models. Now I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the white models and the black ones are ok? Seems a bit odd and hard to explain if that's the case.

14. bmt134 macrumors 6502

15. BigSky20 macrumors regular

My Space Grey 128gb iPhone 6 has the same problem. I have had screen problems on about half the iPhone's i have bought over the years. Honestly, I am getting sick and tired of having to trade in phone until I have a display as Apple advertises and has on displays in their stores. Being heavily invested in Apple products, it seems I am stuck with the QC practices of Apple. These darn first world problems! :D

16. wxman2003 Suspended

17. NJHitmen macrumors member

Same model, same problem. Though for me, it's the first issue I've experienced with an Apple display. Still annoying.

18. darkonex macrumors member

Same issue on my iPhone 6 but it's not near enough bad to be worth fretting over, I'll live with it, it's really barely noticable

19. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Yes! I noticed this immediately when I got my 6 2 days ago! Download the app spotter and look at the white background and let me know how many of you have dark shadows near the middle to upper half of the screen! I have two and it's really noticeable when scrolling reading white backgrounds which is basically everything you look at on websites. It's driving me nuts and I can't believe more people have complained about this either! I really love the 6 but this crucial part of the phone is defective and really annoying! My 5 has great uniformity and so does my ipad 4. I wonder if this is on all 6's? Should I take the gamble and return it? Seems like everyone else who gets a replacement has the same issue.