iPhone 6 dead pixel. are replacement phones lower quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adcx64, Sep 20, 2014.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

so i found a bright blue blaring dead pixel on my phone screen, and I've read a while back that the replacement phones that apple gives you are lower quality than the originals, since they use lower quality parts to churn them out faster. If i go today for a replacement, will my phone be of lesser quality? also this is the first time I've seen an iPhone with a dead pixel.

2. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I would just return the phone and buy a new one. You may have to wait but it's still better than getting another in the white box.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It's way too early for the replacement units to be a refurb or remanufactured. They will be replaced with a Brand new device.

But if you are within your return/exchange period, you might as well go with that route instead of seeing the Genius.

4. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

How do I go about returning it for an exchange?

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, it will not.

6. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

What's wrong with iPhones in white boxes? Lol. My new one came in a white box. Only thing it said was iPhone on the side.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Where did you order your phone? Apple? You can return/exchange the phone where you got the phone.

8. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I got it from apple online store. Will they have exchange units ?

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

According to the Apple Return Policy Here: http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

I'm not sure about exchange but best to ask Apple about that one.

10. jamminj606 macrumors newbie

I had a problem with my first launch day iphone5 that i got from Apple.com They replaced on the spot with a brand new one. It came in an OEM style box from the back room (of course they let you keep the original box). I have that particular one still. It obviously would have been a refurb, but theres no way to have any refurbs on weekend 1.
    I would just take it in and get your replacement asap. make an appointment thoguh, it might be busy this weekend.

11. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Yes

12. Carlow macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with AppleCare because my display has some sort of black spot/dust in the middle of it. A senior advisor helped me out and is sending me a replacement for a Verizon iPhone 6+ 64gb Space Gray.

[​IMG]

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, stop spreading false information. They're all brand new at this point.

14. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

I know a . person who works at the Lancaster Pennsylvania apple store. The replacement units are new units which have been reserved for replacement purposes only. The units they chose are the same build quality as all iPhones are the same build quality. The replacement phones go through more thorough testing in terms of function and form to make sure the customer does not come back with another flaw

In fact I replaced mine today for having a dead pixel and tested the unit and the screen WiFi and battery seemed perfect

15. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

LOL it was a joke b/c it was a ridiculous question.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, it's not for uninformed people. Members new to this site may not know what senior members know so do not assume anything.

17. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Okay I'm making an appointment for tomorrow. So the replacement will be of the same quality as mine?

18. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes each replacement is lower quality than the last, they have ten levels before they eventually just hand you a small piece of plywood with a screen painted on it. :apple:

19. NeshyD macrumors regular

NeshyD

Yes. I had the same issue yesterday with the 6 I ordered online. I went into the store and the lady assured me it would be replaced with a brand new phone.

From what I can tell, the replacement phone is totally brand new.

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

Genius Bar service replacements come in generic reusable white boxes. Normally what's in that box can either be a brand-new iPhone, or a refurbished iPhone. If it's refurbished (which it won't be for an iPhone 6, because there hasn't been any time to create furbished units), it will come with a brand new exterior shell, a brand new battery, and will come in the same shrink wrap as a brand new replacement.

Looking at it, you should't be able to tell if it's a brand new replacement or not. But since the iPhone 6 just came out, you'll be getting a brand new one.

----------

Even if it were refurbished, there should be no visible clues that you could use to tell by. Refurbs come in brand new exterior shells.

21. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Look at it this way. All replacement phones in first week and brand new phones

22. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Okay cool so its the same as the new ones you'd buy in store

23. aristobrat macrumors G5

Only for a period of time after a new model launches.

24. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

They're new right now. Eventually all the phones that people return ~ they want a different color, different size, different GB ~ will go into the refurb stock as Apple and carrier stores cannot sell those returned phones as new. But, returns need to be tested first. So, any replacement units right now given out are brand new...

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

An iPhone refurb is just as good as a new phone. New shell, new battery, same warranty. It's not like they take returns, wipe them with a baby wipe and rebox them. Any concern about an Apple refurb is... unnecessary.