iPhone 6 dilemma and Verizon unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mkg1425, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Mkg1425 macrumors newbie

I have been off contract since 2012 and have always paid full price for my new iPhone's, but now I'm trying to decide if unlimited is worth keeping since Verizon is gonna throttle data on October 1, to unlimited users who use 4.7gb of data. I use 7gb plus per month.
    What should I do?

2. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

1. Switch to maybe T-Mobile?
    2. Use less data?

3. I7guy macrumors G5

4. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

find a way to get into a contract, you wont be throttled if you are on one

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Log into your verizon account and start an upgrade process. Select your device. Once the device is selected you might have an option to change to the 8gb max plan. Could be the same price but 8gb of data. It might be worth it to you.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

See how it goes starting October 1st.
    Wonder how slow their throttling will be and if they will really slow you down for 2 billing cycles.
    If its very slow and for 2 months long I'd either pack up and switch carriers or get a share plan that gives you enough data to work with without going over and paying data overages.

7. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

They're actually not (based on what their site says) not throttling for "periods" of time (meaning 1 month, 2 months, etc). It says it's only during times that the tower you're on is congested. Whether this is all true or not, and in fact they do throttle for one bill cycle, or any number of bill cycles is still yet to be seen. I already know I'm dreading it, as I use more than the 4.7 GB they state, but only buy a few GB's -- most I've used in the 3 years or so I've been with them has been 10 GB and that was when I travelled and streamed Netflix quite a bit.

Well crap, it looks like they either stuck this part in recently, or it was overlooked when they announced it a few months ago..

Once my data speed is reduced, am I going to be under Network Optimization forever?
    No. You will be subject to Network Optimization for that billing cycle and the following cycle. When subject to Network Optimization you will only be affected when connected to a cell site experiencing high demand. Otherwise, your data will operate as normal.

Bastards@!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard it can be done for up to 2 billing cycles which doesnt make any sense.
    They say they will throttle users only on busy towers but how are we to really know if a tower is busy or not or if most of their towers are considered busy by their standards and your end up throttled everywhere. Verizon is very sneaky so my guess is they will throttle you at very very slow speeds like t mobile at 100-160kbps and drag it out for 2 months in order to get most unlimited users to finally get off and switch to shared plans.
    We will have to wait and see soon but wont be pretty for sure.

9. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

I could have sworn when they announced it (as far as LTE went) that it was only when on congested towers, no month to month type deal, and it likely was that way. Now that they got all these folks who got iPhone 6's and 6+'s they probably went in and revised to the 2 month thing. I know at least where I live I get great speeds, so I don't think the towers right near me are ever congested, but I'm sure congestion will be "created" now just so they can screw with unlimited customers.

Oh well I just read on another site that in fact they did change it. No idea when exactly, but before (when it was announced) there was no this cycle, next cycle, etc restriction, so they must have changed it within the last 30 days or so (around the last time I checked).

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Hope since the government opposed that move and they are questioning them they will let up on some of their strict terms.
    Also the part of dragging it out for 2 months is nonsense.
    Everyones data amount gets reset every 1 billing cycle.
    Why would you get throttled this month and next month if you only went over it during last month? Doesnt make sense.

11. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I was in the same predicament. I ended up signing up a new 2 year contract. Before my discounts I was paying about $120, so I got the $120 equivalent which gets me about 8GB. I was averaging 7GB, one month I don't know why I went up to 11GB.

I think it'll be ok if you get the equivalent of what you're paying now.