iPhone 6 Dimming On Highest Brightness Level

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

My battery life has been phenomenal on the 6, that being said I just noticed my 6 go dimmer while on full brightness.

It's like it was adjusting to go darker but it happened instantaneously and when I went to brighten it again it was on full brightness.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Sensor, there is a setting for turning it off and on.

----------

Someone will chime in w/ the location

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

It's not the autobrightness. While on full brightness it auto dims a little bit but when I scroll to make it bright its on maximum brightness.

4. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Was the phone hot?

If it gets too hot it will not go to full brightness and if charging, it will slow the charging rate to a crawl. These actions are an attempt by the phone to keep it from getting hotter. If it does get hot enough, the device will be disabled and the screen will have a message on a black background saying the phone is too hot.

If it wasn't hot... then it might have just been a glitch. I've had that happen before as well. Reboot and see what happens.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The home screen dims by default when you activate Control Center and returns to full brightness when you swipe it down. Don't confuse it with your own brightness adjustment.

6. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

It wasn't hot from being outside but I did have it on full brightness for a while so that may have caused it. From what I've read its a feature to keep the phone from getting too hot, haven't seen anything confirming this though.

7. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I observed the same on my iPhone 5. Unexpected dimming, with autobrightness off. Usually happens in bright light, when you need bright screen most. lol. I stopped wondering about it, though - I simply consider it a middle finger that Apple shows its customers. "******* you, we know better, swallow it!" :D

8. grantwall, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

grantwall macrumors newbie

Been having this same problem myself as well and it's driving me insane. I thought I was crazy for the longest time, until I was able to capture it on video.

https://vid.me/Vtb

Dims at 4:55, brightens at 6:20

From my experience it seems to happen primarily when playing games or watching videos in Safari. It's quite random when it happens, but after it does the brightness will pop back after around a minute or so

I'll be going to the Genius Bar tomorrow, so I'll be sure to report back.

UPDATE:
    Genius insisted I do a clean install of the OS without restoring from a backup. Though this did not work and it's still happening for me.

https://vid.me/H8i
    Starts off with the "dimmed" bug, and as you see adjusting the brightness slider doesn't actually change brightness at all when adjusting in the top 20%.
    Then at 19 seconds in it pops back up to full brightness, afterwards the brightness slider does work.

Because of this I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue, but rather software.

Not sure a replacement device would hugely help out in this situation.