iPhone 6 discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Heartcloud, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Heartcloud macrumors newbie

So it's rumoured that 6S will be available in September, I was wondering if it's better to get an iPhone 6 right now or wait until 6S is released? Historically speaking, when is the discount of the previous model greater, right before or right after release of a new model? I live in Canada where phones are much more expensive ($839 for iPhone 6 compared to $649 in US) and carriers charge borderline robbery prices, so I have no choice but to buy a contract-free phone. I happen to be going to the US for 5 days next week, but I don't go to the US often, so I was wondering if I should buy one when I go or not.

2. Bananas Ananas macrumors member

Bananas Ananas

With almost $200 difference in price between the countries I'd just buy the phone during your U.S. visit.

3. Heartcloud thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes for sure I'm buying it in the US, what I was asking is would the phone be even cheaper after 6S is released? I.e., would it drop below $649? I don't go to the US often but I'm pretty sure I'll go at least one more time between September and December 2015.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Prices drop right after the new release usually.
    The old models are cheaper and plenty of them so they try to get rid off them for the next release.
    Also tons of them will flood the used market for cheap on ebay, CL, swappa, amazon market etc...
    You can get some good deals on slightly used unlocked iphones that are in great shape or ones that have just been swapped at the apple store with warranty replacements.
    Many option once the new device is announced.

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

If you're fine with buying a used iPhone 6, I would wait until after the iPhone 6s is released. You should be able to find one for around $400 (more or less, considering the iPhone 6 or its equivalent would sell for $549 + tax).

6. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

If you can wait, the 6 models will be cheaper in the Fall.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Depends. On-contract pricing tends to be cheaper before release (e.g. VZW is offering a $200 discount on the iPhone 6 right now with 2-yr or EDGE). If you're buying factory unlocked, off-contract, then you'd have to wait for Apple to drop prices which is usually right after the keynote/announcement (which is not necessarily the same as after release).