iPhone 6 display - black not that "deep", colors not "improved".

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hamiltonDSi, Oct 21, 2014.

1. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Ok, I'm coming from a 5s - sure, I got excited about the new camera and the sleek industrial design but the one feature that got me all hyped up was the new Retina "HD" Display.
    Oh, boy. When I saw that Apple advertised the 6 with those flower wallpapers I thought that finally the iPhones have a display wich shows true and deep black.

- Taken from apple.com/iphone

Erm, mine doesn't have this fancy contrast !
    Let me explain :
    First, when I select a flower wallpaper I can see the border between the Display and bezel - on Apple photo's you can't.
    Second, when I tilt the phone the black's look so washed out that it hurts my eyes. It's war worse than on the 5s.

Is my unit defective or the Retina HD is just a scam ?
    Please compare the pictures I attached.
    Note : brightness at 100%

First pic & second pic : 1) my phone 2) from apple.com.
    You can clearly see that the flower doesn't flow on the screen.
    Second pic : the phone is tilted, black looks like navy blue - cr*p !

I'm usually not this picky. I don't care if my device as a nick or two or small things like this but now I'm a little disappointed if the display is like this.

Attached Files:

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's still only a 1400:1 contrast ratios. Plasma TVs have a contrast ratio around in the 1M-5M:1 range, and they still emit a visible amount of light when on a black screen. The only way you'll get infinite blacks are with a technology like OLED.

It was naive to expect the display to look like a render, especially at the steep angles you took photos at. IPS displays do all tend to have a glow at steeper angles too. The only IPS displays I've seen without are very expensive ones with A-TW polarizers (and I haven't seen those commonly used in about 10 years).

If you use the phone in a bright room, the black pixels will probably blend reasonably well with the black edges.

3. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

First thing is first. Thank you for replying.

Second, the 6 has a better contrast ratio, 1400:1 like you said - but the 5/5c/5s had 800:1 contrast ratio. So it has to be an improvement but I don't see it. Like I said, I think the display was better on the 5s.

Third, I know about OLED and IPS. For many years I admired Android phones with better OLED displays but I thought that this year Apple had some kind a new IPS technology wich was better or equal to OLED. Yes, perhaps it was a little silly of me to compare my phone to renders but like I said, I thought that they have a new IPS tech.

4. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

OP, how did you manage to make it look that blue? Mine may not look like the render but looks black at all angels!

5. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Are you serious ? Is it possible that my unit has a bad display ?
    I just tilted the phone and that is the color it shows...blacks become blue..

6. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Alright, I have no other phone near me to take a photo but I will take photo of my iPhone 6 screen when am home. It looks no where near that blue. Not as deep black as the bezels (space grey model) but not no where as blue as in yours.

7. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Please do that.
    If indeed your display is better I'm going to the store tomorrow and compare my 6 with the ones displayed there. If it's defective I'm going to ask for a replacement.

8. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Here

Attached Files:

9. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Obviously, blacks will NOT look nearly as black as the bezels when brightness is set at 100% At around 40% of the brighness the bezels are hard to see, and at 0% you can't see them. They start to become visible at some point around 60%.

Note: Talking about indoors, not outdoors in direct sunlight.

10. GrecoISU macrumors member

Obligatory...

Why's it gotta be black? :D

11. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

You'll only get perfect blacks with SuperAMOLED on a phone...a Samsung phone! :p

12. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Or with an :apple:watch :D

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

14. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

IPS displays used in recent iphones should show no noticeable color shifts when viewing at indirect angles.

Your blacks will be a lot better at 50% brightness. That is your problem right there.

15. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Mine also has a slight blue haze when tilted at an angle, but only with the brightness turned all the way up. Never noticed it until I saw this thread. It might be my glass screen protector?

16. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Contrast ratios are not very reliable as a display spec. LCD panels are like snowflakes-no two are alike.

I favor buying the phones with the white bezels, as they make the blacks seem "blacker" due to the contrast between the screen and bezel.

17. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Also oled has a little difference between bezels and display but is way better then lcd...
    I hope Apple could add oled in iphone 7 since the :apple:watch is already oled ( obviously considering the icon in the black background... A fine design solution by jony if you think)
    Like I said in other post we could start making press to Apple via the feedback page about the display...